These SpongeBob Moments Will Give You the College Feels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

When SpongeBob first aired, I watched it every day until I left for college. As a junior in college, I still make SpongeBob related jokes and all of my friends know exactly what I’m talking about.  When I was younger, I would laugh at the meowing snail and SpongeBob ripping his pants.  Now, I laugh at the way my favorite yellow sponge relates to my college experience.

Trying to ration your food:

When you don’t get paid until the following week and you have $15 left in your bank account, it’s time to ration the food you have. This mean limiting your portions and taking small bites of food to try and make it last longer.

When your professor starts handing out the quiz you forgot to study for:

Whether it’s a pop quiz, test, or just an assignment, there’s going to be a time in college when something will completely slip your mind. You’ll do everything in your power to try to remember all the information about the topic or quickly write everything you know down and turn it in. You can relate forgetting about a quiz to the time SpongeBob forgot his name.

When there’s free food:

Whenever there’s an event that offers free or discounted food, everyone finds a way to go and will schedule around it to assure they are able to take advantage of the magical opportunity, causing a scene very similar to the time Sponge Bob created “pretty patties.”

When you first get the paper assigned and you’re planning on starting early to get a head-start:

The entire episode of SpongeBob writing his paper on what he learned in boating school is directly related to any paper most of us have experienced.

When you look at your paper 3 hours before it’s due and you have one word written:

When you’re “that one student” who always emails your professors with questions:

Professors encourage you to attend office hours but they are rarely attended. You can’t help but feel a little annoying when you’re sending your professor an e-mail for the fifth time this week asking about an assignment instead of attending their scheduled office hours specifically to address questions.

When you need to pay bills:

Your credit card, energy, and cable bill are all due in the same week. On top of that, pay day isn’t until Friday… The problem? It’s only Sunday and you have jelly, a can of soup, and two slices of bread to last you the week.

When you turn in your final after being up for 24 hours straight:

It’s your last final of the week and you walk up to your teacher to hand it in. It’s also the class you stayed up all night studying because you need a good grade to pass.

When you fail:

It’s going to happen eventually for many of us. Whether it’s a small assignment, a large exam, or a class as a whole, it’s going to like all the times SpongeBob failed his boating test.

When the semester is over:

After working hard all semester long, your finals are complete and it feels like a giant weight has been lifted off your shoulders. All you want to do is sleep and relax until it starts all over next semester.

I'm a junior at MNSU studying International Business and a minor in Marketing and Computer Science! I'm from St. Francis, MN which is north of the Twin Cities by about an hour. In my free time I like spending the money I don't have on concert tickets and food. A fun fact is I studied abroad in London and I joined Her Campus because I was super excited about it coming to MNSU and definately wanted to get involved!