Tackle this Semester by Becoming a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Many people ask me how I get up so early (especially when I don’t have to). For some people it just comes naturally; they have been morning people since they day they were born. For others, it is a learned habit. Getting up early in the morning makes me feel like I have more time during my day. I can relax in the morning, lying in bed, drink my coffee, and then start my day without an ounce of guilt. Here are some tips to help you become a morning person:

Plan the night before.

Whatever it is, get it done. Get your lunch made, get your backpack, purse, or briefcase ready to go, but most importantly know what you are going to wear. Set whatever it is that you plan on wearing out for the next day. This also means a little planning. You need to know if you have an important meeting that requires you to be in professional clothes, or if you are spending the day studying (meaning it’s acceptable to wear leggings and your favorite sweatshirt).

Allow yourself time.

Allow yourself about 3-5 minutes to actually wake up. After those five minutes, start your ritual. Think about your plan for the day. What is it that you need to get accomplished? What would you like to get done if you have extra time? Think about what your schedule looks like and how you are going to complete your goals for the day.

Sleep with water next to your bed.

That’s right, I sleep with a bottle of water right next to my bed. In the morning, I drink at least 10 to 20 ounces of water. Water is great for your health. It cleanses your colon, it helps with digestion, and water is amazing for your skin.

Get your body moving.

Okay, so you have your goals, your game plan, you have some water in your system, so now it’s time to stretch. Sit up, stretch your neck, shoulders, and back. Get out of bed and touch the floor, literally. Then reach for the ceiling, and repeat a few times.

Have a positive attitude.

I know sometimes you just want to stay in bed and say that the day doesn’t have to start, but the fact is if you start your day with a positive attitude your day will go much smoother. Wake up and tell yourself that you have a purpose today and you will fulfill it, and if you don’t fulfill it you will try again. Your mind has a greater influence on the way your day will go above anything else.

If you follow these tips I can’t guarantee that you will wake up with a smile on your face, but it will make it easier to start your day. Just remember, do your best every day and your best is good enough. If you don’t accomplish a goal you can always try again tomorrow.

Elizabeth is a Minnesota State University, Mankato Senior, and the Vice President of Her Campus MNSU. She is a strong supporter of equality for women in the work place, and in life. She wants to be one of many to help shatter the glass ceiling, and close the confidence gap. Elizabeth was born and raised in the heart of Minnesota, and can be found spending most of her time outside doing any of the miraculous adventures that the state of Minnesota offers.
Shaela Nelson (pronounced Shay-la), commonly referred to as Shae, is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato, majoring in marketing and minoring in entrepreneurship. Shaela enjoys being a part of many organizations on campus, volunteering with animals and randomly busting out crazy dance moves. Being from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes," you can find her enjoying the lake-life while boating, at any given time of the summer - when she's not a nanny for her favorite kiddos. Shaela enjoys writing for Her Campus because it allows her to express herself and the many ideas she has. Life Motto: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you imagined." -Henry David Thoreau