books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Study Tips to Help You Ace this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Most colleges have started classes for the semester, which means that everyone needs to buckle up and make sure we start the semester on a good note. Thus, I put together a few study tips that’ll help you hit the ground running, so that you don’t find yourself too anxious when finals are around the corner.

KNOW YOUR LEARNING STYLE

Are you a visual learner? Do you prefer to study while listening to music? Different methods work for different learners, so it’s important that you know what works for you ahead of time. You may work best with a combination of several methods, so figuring out what doesn’t help you would be your best bet. For instance, I study better on my own than in a group. So, I avoid study groups because I know that they hardly benefit me.

KEEP UP

This could mean several things, depending on you. I never miss my classes because I’m a heavy note taker, and there’s no one I trust to take notes the way I like. If you can stand to miss a few classes, make sure you’re following with the textbook. Have a friend in the class who will take notes for you, or record lectures (with the professor’s permission). Also try not to move on to a new chapter without fully understanding the previous one. Ask questions or do your research whenever something isn’t clear to you.

MANAGE YOUR TIME

There are several ways you can do this, so find out what works for you and be consistent. Do not procrastinate, and try not to forget to do important tasks. Write down what you have due on your phone or on a planner, and hold yourself accountable.

STUDY TO REMEMBER AND UNDERSTAND

Cramming will more than likely come back to bite you in the butt. This is why you need to study well before the last minute, so that you have enough time to absorb all the information. Make sure you understand the context of what you’re reading. This’ll make tricky questions seem less confusing, and you’ll also be able to successfully apply what you’ve learned to practical situations.

BALANCE YOUR LIFE AND STAY HEALTHY

You should spend a good amount of time studying, but you should also spend time relaxing, having fun, and taking care of your health. Sleep when you need to sleep, and eat when you’re hungry. Don’t read on an empty stomach, and remember to come up for air frequently.

Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.