This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

When you take a step back and think about it, most of the articles and new reports about Greek Life are negative. It either talks about sexual assault, hazing, alcohol abuse, or a drug problem. All of this negative publicity has given Greek Life a bad name. College freshman may think twice about going through recruitment if they see a particularly bad article that puts fraternities and sororities in a bad light. And they should! Who would want to join an organization if they haze or harass their members?

I joined a sorority my freshman year and went into recruitment weekend so excited for all of the possibilities. Now, three years later, I am a stronger and better woman. I have taken on leadership roles in my chapter, become a big sister to two wonderful women, and have branched far out of my comfort zone. I attend weekly chapter meetings that are run in a very formal and professional way. I give my time to volunteer in the community and raise money for those in need. I help educate the new members of our chapter and assure they have nothing but a positive experience. I have grown into a professional and empowered woman who is proud of my letters. However, when people find out I am Greek they look at me differently. They see me as a self-absorbed party girl. They may assume I spend most of my weekends drinking vodka at fraternity parties. They may assume I was hazed into my organization and continue to haze newer members. Why? Because other people are ruining it for me. Some chapters are creating an unsafe and terrible environment for those in their chapter. They may force members to drink or put them in uncomfortable situations. What they don’t realize is that this affects more than just their chapter. This affects every single member of the Greek community. They are forcing us to justify to others why we are Greek and why we are so passionate about our organization.

It is unbelievably frustrating for me to be working so hard to improve my chapter while others are ruining theirs. They don’t realize it, but they are ruining mine too. They are putting bad images in people’s heads and creating bad stigmas of our organization. I am sick and tired of being looked at as someone I am not. I am sick and tired of hearing about members who are hazed and harassed.  I am sick and tired of chapters putting a strong emphasis on drinking and partying. That is not what Greek Life should be about. My heart breaks for the people who have joined and quickly left because of a poor experience. I want to show them that being in a sorority or fraternity can be such an amazing part of your college career.

To the chapters who haze, bully, drink endlessly, and break the law. Please stop. I’m begging you. You are creating a bad future for yourself, a bad reputation for your chapter, and a bad image of what sororities and fraternities are. Stop ruining my letters. Don’t make me justify why I am immensely proud of them.

To anyone who knows a fellow sorority woman or fraternity man, please do not assume the worst. There are bad eggs in every batch, but Greek Life does so much good for the community. Hear us out when we tell you what we do and consider joining us. It is such a positive and uplifting experience that I wish for everyone.