Stop and Think Before You Rate Someone 1-10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

I’m sure you have heard of the scale, 1-10. You may have ranked someone on it. It is also likely that you have been ranked. A 10 is a perfect and flawless person in our eyes. Someone we want to be because of their looks. As opposed to a 1, someone who would be defined as unattractive. Certainly, we all have our own ideas of a 10, a  person who is a 10 to me could look very differently than a 10 to you. We all have different standards and definitions of hotness. However, I think we can all agree that we have used a scale like this of some sorts before.

So, what makes a person a 10? Do they have to measure up to a height requirement? Are their teeth straight and pearly white? Does their skin look flawless without any beauty marks? When we rank, we look at the person in a matter of seconds and answer these questions. We make snap judgements and then give them a number.

Is it really fair to define each other based on looks, and quickly rank them? Should we be so quick to judge? Is it just me, or do you think we should take personality, determination and charisma into consideration? There is so much more than looks that make up a person.

If you do use the 1-10 scale, I ask you to really take into consideration how you decide to rank. I hope you do look past appearance and take their interest into consideration. Yes, looks are the first thing we see of a person but we all have so many wonderful qualities once we get known.

Women face enough challenges in the world. I urge you to support your fellow woman in as many ways possible, and that includes not holding them to society’s beauty standards. No one will meet ALL of the pre-requisites that go into being a “perfect 10” in everyone’s eyes. Men face the same issues, society tells them if they don’t have a 6 pack and perfect hair that they’re not going to get any girl. That’s not fair at all, is it? Let’s all embrace one another and all of our beautiful imperfections.