clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spotlight: Her Campus MNSU Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Graduation is always a bittersweet time of year. All of us at HC MNSU are feeling that right about now as we say goodbye to some fantastic seniors! Here are a few of our amazing collegiates who will be graduating this spring:

1. Mikayla Jones: Majoring in Exercise Science with a double minor in Psychology and Sports Medicine.
  2. Chelsey Ehleringer: Management major with a Marketing minor.
  3. Amanda Harff: Majoring in Law Enforcement
  4. Kyndal Cox: Majoring in Marketing
  5. Lindsay Abram: Interdisciplinary studies in Psychology, Sociology, and Corrections
  6. Sammy Petersen: Mass Media with a minor in Communication Studies
  7. Bridget Bregel: Marketing major

• What are your plans after graduation?

Mikayla: After graduation, I plan to travel as much as I can.

Chelsey: I am finishing up my internship and on the hunt for a full-time position.

Amanda: Travel until my training begins in August.

Kyndal: Moving to the cities. Trying to find a job right now.

Lindsay: I plan on moving to Rochester and getting a townhome with my boyfriend in the summer, start a Child Life practicum next fall and hopefully apply for grad school for the following year!

Sammy: I plan to have an internship with the St. Paul Saints, and I am also doing a Yoga Sculpt teacher training through Corepower yoga in the cities, as well as working at the new Profile by Sanford locations in the cities. The military will also take a big chunk of time for me this summer.

Bridget: I will be moving back to the cities and finding a marketing job.

• The best part of college?

Mikayla: The amazing friends I made.

Chelsey: My best part of college was the experiences and friendships I gained through STLF.

Amanda: The independence!

Kyndal: Meeting and making new lifelong friends.

Lindsay: The best part of college would probably be all of the experiences that I have been able to have and (cliché, get ready) all the memories I have been able to make here. I have done so much here that I don’t think I would have had the chance to experience anywhere else.

Sammy: When I got past general classes and started to take classes related to my major.

Bridget: Meeting so many great people and making best friends.

• The worst part of college?

Mikayla: The actual school part, lol jk. I think just the late nights studying.

Chelsey: Being so far from home and missing out on family events.

Amanda: Having to prioritize.

Kyndal: Finals.

Lindsay: Money money money. Or rather, the lack of it haha.

Sammy: Having to study for exams that happen to fall on the same week.

Bridget: Studying for exams.

• Do you feel like your college experience has prepared you for the real world?

Mikayla: I definitely think that college has prepared me for the real world. Living on your own, paying your own bills, and just having to deal with certain life hurdles on your own.

Chelsey: I feel like I learned a log of useful skills in college, but I know once I get into a real career I will learn so much more.

Amanda: Absolutely! You learn a lot about yourself when you have to be so independent.

Kyndal: I feel like it has done a pretty good job.

Lindsay: Somewhat. My experience is out of the norm because I switched majors so late in the game and am just now getting an idea of the path I am taking moving forward. But overall, I’d say yes, it has prepared me, just maybe not in the traditional way of classes I’ve taken.

Sammy: I feel like the experiences I have had in and outside of college have prepared me. Leading Her Campus, having an internship, and managing my own schedule has definitely helped me.

Bridget: I feel like college is a tease for the real world. College doesn’t teach you about how to save your money or invest in a savings account or that going out on a Tuesday night is going to mess up your whole week.

• Is there anything that you wish you would’ve done differently?

Mikayla: If I could go back, I would have focused more on school my freshman year. It was just a hard time because I was still unsure of what I wanted to do.

Chelsey: I wish I would’ve found groups to get involved with earlier in my college career.

Amanda: Nope! Everything that happened was either a blessing or a lesson!

Kyndal: I would’ve reached out and asked for help from my teachers more.

Lindsay: Ditched the high school boyfriend before college so I was more inclined to get out and meet people! Haha, I wish I would have stepped out of my comfort zone much sooner and taken advantage of living in the dorms and meeting people there.

Sammy: I wish I would have gotten a little more involved on campus, as well as finding a core group of friends, don’t get me wrong, 429 girls!

Bridget: That I would’ve gotten an internship sooner because it teaches you how to time manage your class schedule with a job.

• So, was college “The best years of your life?”

Mikayla: I definitely think that some of the best moments have come from my college experience.

Chelsey: I’m not sure I would say that, but they were a great part of my journey and I have created lasting friendships form them.

Amanda: So far, so good!

Kyndal: I feel like college has been a blast, but the fun isn’t over!

Lindsay: I sure hope not, I have a lot of fun stuff planned for the future! These may not have been the “best years of my life” but they have been pretty great and I know that college has given me the people that I will experience the best years of my life with.

Sammy: College was definitely fun but I can’t wait to see what my future holds!

Bridget: To this point in my life, yes, College has been the best and most challenging 4 years of my life. I have met great people, traveled the world, and was able to grow and learn about myself.

• Biggest Lesson Learned?

Mikayla: Biggest thing I learned was just about myself in general. I learned who I want to be, where I want to go, and how I want to make an impact.

Chelsey: It’s okay to show others your weaknesses and ask for help when you are struggling.

Amanda: The biggest lesson I learned is to put myself first. Going to college can be scary, but you need to be able to confidently do what’s best for you.

Kyndal: Figure out how to balance fun and school.

Lindsay: This one is always tough to answer because I have learned so much! Honestly, I have learned to be my own person and take up space. I used to be really worried about upsetting people or getting in the way, but I have come to realize that it is okay to take up space – we deserve to take up space.

Sammy: Things will get done even if it is last minute.

Bridget: Learn how to budget so you don’t blow through all your money.

• Advice?

Lindsay: Be the person that walks with your head up on campus, not down at your phone. Smile at people and say hi like you used to back in your childhood neighborhood – I’m not really sure why we don’t do that as much anymore. Sometimes, it’s okay to take a break and have a drink, hang out with friends or watch tv when you have a test in the morning. There’s no point in stressing yourself to the point of exhaustion over one test!

Chelsey: Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new that intrigues you. Also, it is okay if you don’t know what you want to do when you grow up, try new things and find what fits you.

Sammy: Don’t sweat the small stuff. You will get through and you will graduate! Do the best you can!

Bridget:The best advice I have is to find your textbooks online. The books in the bookstore are overpriced and you probably won’t even need the book as much as you think. Also, STUDY ABROAD if you get the chance.

• What did you take from being a member of HC? Or how did being a part of HC MNSU impact you?

Mikayla: It was nice having a group of females to gather with and participate in volunteering and community service.

Chelsey: Her Campus got me back into volunteering and serving others and that is something I had been missing before I joined.

Amanda: I became an exec my very first semester with HC. It was scary but very exciting at the same time! I learned that taking risks sometimes has amazing rewards.

Kyndal: It’s a great way to gain a little more experience in your career field. And you meet a lot of amazing people!

Lindsay: HC has taught me how to be not only an effective team member but also a reliable team leader. It has definitely been a helping hand when stepping out of my comfort zone, putting myself out there and in turn, helping others do the same.

Bridget: Being in HC has been such an amazing experience. I have met amazing girls and have grown in my passion for Marketing by being the Marketing chair.

Though all of us will be sad to see you go, we wish you the best of luck in all of your future endeavors, and cannot wait to see what life after college holds for you!

Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation. 
Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.