This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

As a college student, living with roommates can have many advantages, but living alone can as well. It’s great living with your friends because you can have slumber parties whenever you want, binge-watching Netflix together and rent is cheaper. But living alone means having your own space, no one to clean up after and socialization when you want it. I have experienced the best of both worlds. But here are the advantages to living alone:

Having your own space.

I can’t tell you how nice it is to have the space you pay rent for all to yourself. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want. You don’t have to share anything. Having your own space means you can have it as dirty or as clean as you want. If you want to throw all your dirty clothes on the bathroom floor instead of the hamper, be your guest. If a dirty apartment isn’t your thing, then clean as much as you want, because it’s your space!

Only cleaning up after yourself!

Knowing that the mess on the table is yours makes you feel a little less upset about who left it there. Cleaning one bowl of cereal instead of two or three also helps dishes seem like less of a chore. If you are living alone, you don’t have to worry about when the dishes are done, clean them when you want! Overall, worrying about just yourself to clean up after can make your life a little easier.  

“Me’’ time.  

If you are independent, you will really appreciate living alone. I love living alone because I get to socialize when I want. If I don’t want to talk to anyone because it’s just one of those days, I don’t have any roommates to come across and talk with. Sometimes I just want to be alone in my own space and I get to do that in my own apartment. If I want to socialize, I can call up a friend to go out with. And at the end of the night I get to come back to my own place and sleep in my own bed with no interruptions.  

College can be a stressful time in your life, so live it as stress-free as possible. Whether that’s having roommates and slumber parties every night, or living alone with your own space. Whatever fits your lifestyle and makes you happy!

My name is Nicole Hallman. I am a junior at MNSU and will be graduating in fall 2019. I'm majoring in mass media and minoring in communication studies. My hobbies consist of drinking coffee, traveling and cuddling with my dog Saul. 
Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.