Sincerly, Your Daughter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Do you have a bestfriend that doesn’t compare to anyone else? Someone who accepts all your flaws, all your quirks and loves you unconditionally? I do, and I am lucky to call that person my mom. I am so proud to say that she is so much more than just my mom, she is my best friend. I wish everyone could have someone like her. We have a close relationship that I cherish and will never take for granted.

My mother was a teen mom before it became a television show. She made sure to put her heart and soul into raising us kids. She knows what it’s like not having someone to talk to about girl stuff like school and boys, so she vowed that she would be there for her children. I am glad it went this way, even though she may not agree, because it’s what led her to be my best friend.

When it comes to drama and venting, my mom is the first person I call because I know she has the best advice to give. No matter what I call and tell her about, she always supports me and understands my point of view. She listens and doesn’t judge me, no matter what the situation is.

As my mom and best friend, she has taught me responsibility, and to not worry about what others think of me. Many of my characteristics as a person come from her. She made sure that I could enjoy the best moments in life growing up. Instead of grounding me, she would talk to me and ask why I did what I did. We are open and honest with each other, and that has created the best relationship ever.

Spending time with my mom is always important to me. I love shopping with her even if we aren’t spending money. It’s a special bonding time because we have similar interests and know what the other likes. Birthdays with her are important too. I wanted to spend my 21st birthday with my mom out at the bars because I know she is a blast to party with. I will never take for granted the moments we spend together, even if it’s just sitting at home wondering when toilet paper was first invented.

My mom is always behind me when it comes to important life decisions. After high school, I decided to join the Navy. My mom was ready for me to fly the nest, but she wasn’t expecting me to leave and serve my country. I could tell she was proud of me but the thought of me not being home broke our hearts. But once I graduated boot camp and moved onto my next journey, things became a little easier to deal with. I moved overseas and was no longer close to my best friend. However, she was still the number one person that was there for me, and was so proud of what I was doing. I can’t thank her enough for that.

This woman I call my best friend is such an amazing human being. She deserves much more than I can ever offer her. Thank you for being my best friend, dealing with my flaws and loving me. I am so happy to have you in my life and I can’t wait to continue making memories.

Sincerely,

Your daughter

My name is Nicole Hallman. I am a junior at MNSU and will be graduating in fall 2019. I'm majoring in mass media and minoring in communication studies. My hobbies consist of drinking coffee, traveling and cuddling with my dog Saul.