timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Shop the Cause: Pura Vida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Giffin Thall and Paul Goodman had a life changing business venture five years ago on a college graduation trip to Costa Rica. When they were in Costa Rica they came across two bracelet makers, Jorge and Joaquin, who at the time were living in poverty with their family in a single room crammed with three beds. Griffin and Paul asked them to make 400 bracelets that they took back to California with them.

Within days of placing the bracelets in a bowl at a local boutique the bracelets sold out. People were asking for more. Griffin and Paul recognized that these bracelets were more than friendship bracelets, they symbolized the simple things in life.

“Pura Vida” means “pure life” in Spanish which is a Costa Rican philosophy that encourages the appreciation of life’s simple treasures like slowing things down, celebrating good fortune and refusing to take anything for granted. “Pura Vida” means choosing to live life to the fullest.

Each bracelet is handcrafted by local artisans in Costa Rica. The artisan’s dedication to the “pura vida” way of life is demonstrated in the seemingly endless color combinations and innovative styles.

Griffin and Paul originally partnered with Jorge and Joaquin in hopes of spreading the spirit with others. Today Jorge, Joaquin and 100+ of their friends now hold full-time jobs thanks to Pura Vida Bracelets.

Through the success of the bracelets, the Charity Collection was created to give back to different causes all over the world. They have partnered with more than 190 charities and have donated more than $850,000 to date. Pura Vida is also a member of 1 percent for the Planet, which means they donate 1 percent of their annual revenue to environmental organizations around the world.

Make sure to follow Pura Vida on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and visit their website to start living the simple life!

Wannabe World Traveler.Adventure Seeker.Minnesota Living.Lover of Sports.Avid Coffee Drinker.