This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Naomi Pigeon is a part time student here at Minnesota State University, Mankato and part time student at South Central Community College. She is currently taking a stand against the Board of Education at South Central Community School by creating an online petition. Here is why she is our Campus Cutie this week:

The petition:

“What we are trying to do is make sure our teachers are able to keep the classes they created and built up. We are trying to make sure the teachers, whom are more than qualified, to teach these courses aren’t being made to teach other classes. We are also trying to draw attention to our president, Dr. Annette Parker, and her abuse of power, along with everything else that has gone wrong at South Central College since she has come into power.

Motivation:

“I did this first to keep the AIS (American Indian Studies) courses safe, and now it’s to show as many people as possible everything that is going wrong since Dr. Parker came in.”

How it has already helped:

“It has saved one professor’s classes so far.”

Fun facts about Naomi:

Heritage: “on my mom’s side I am Dakota and Ojibwe, and on my dad’s side I am French.”

Major: “Native American Studies”

Favorite colors: “pink and red.”

Involvement: “I have participated in SCC Film Club. I was Vice President of the Intercultural Club. I am in the sorority Gamma Phi Beta.” 

Activities: “I try to be as active as I can with my reservation. I help teach Dakota language.”

Sorority woman with a million things to do, but doing none of it unless I have coffee.