My Favorite Things About Traveling to New York City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

As a huge travel junkie, I’ve come across many wonderful places thus far in my life and one of my favorites is New York City. NYC brought so many happy moments and it has undoubtedly made a difference in my life. To give you an idea, here are a few reasons why I love NYC.

1. There is a lot to do and see

I can’t tell you how long my list could have been for all the activities I could have done and the attractions. When I spent my day solo traveling, I walked 10 miles throughout my entire day! Luckily, I was staying only two blocks from Times Square which helped me navigate to everything. I checked out Grand Central Station, Rockefeller Center, Chrysler Building and I saw Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. I could spend a whole week there and still not complete my list of things to do.

2. You can enjoy life on the water even in the city

I am from a smaller town that doesn’t even compare to how big NYC is so it was a bit of a culture shock not seeing grass and trees everywhere. But my favorite thing that I did on my trip was take a North River Lobster Tour for only $10. This is an hour-long boat ride on the Hudson River. You can enjoy drinks and food all while sitting on the water looking at the city. I found a little piece of home in a huge city.

3. There is an abundance of food

Trying new foods is something I enjoy but I can also be meticulous about what I eat. NYC has so many different foods from all over the world. And there’s the basic popular restaurants like T.G.I Fridays, Buffalo Wild Wings and McDonalds. My favorite part about trying different food was buying a $2 hotdog from a street-side hotdog stand. You definitely have to try one!

4. Coffee shops are everywhere

I love coffee and I could get lost stopping at all the coffee shops in NYC. I stopped in a cute one that had colors like a 50s diner but kept the modern look. It was delicious. Another shop I stopped in had multiple plants all over inside that you could purchase or just admire. It was very refreshing inside and made me feel so comfortable.

5. You can wear any piece of clothing and not feel judged

Being in one of the biggest cities in the U.S. means there are many different styles of clothing. Living in a smaller city usually gives people a similar look so when you visit NYC nobody fits in and it’s amazing. I felt like I could be in a photo shoot feeling so free and independent.

If you ever get the chance to travel to NYC, I highly suggest it. Some people are nervous about a big city but if you have even a little interest of going, DO IT.

My name is Nicole Hallman. I am a junior at MNSU and will be graduating in fall 2019. I'm majoring in mass media and minoring in communication studies. My hobbies consist of drinking coffee, traveling and cuddling with my dog Saul. 
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.