Minnesota State University, Mankato Student Wins $30,000 at Maverick Hockey Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

On Friday, January 18th, I got to watch Morgan Ward make the shot of a lifetime and win $30,000!

A junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato, Ward attended the MSU Hockey game against Lake Superior at the Verizon Center in Mankato, Minnesota. Ward, 20, entered a promotion that was held in between the second and third period of the game. “I did not want to go down there because I did not want to be the center of attention,” she said.

Ward was challenged to shoot a puck into a small net with a hole that only had ⅛” clearance on either side – and that’s exactly what she did.

A crowd of 4,000 roared after they watched Ward make the shot! What was really surprising is that Ward had never really played hockey and was more worried about falling on the ice. “Walking out there, the only thing i am thinking is, ‘don’t fall on the ice,’ and ‘shoot hard enough to make it down the ice.’ I didn’t want to look like a weak little girl,” Ward said.

Before she went out on the ice, Ward was given some pointers to make sure she wouldn’t fall while shooting. “[We’d show] how to hold the stick, square her shoulders and keep feet squared up so she doesn’t face plant… and she hairs it. Incredible!,” said Greg Weis, MSU Mankato Assistant Athletic Director.

It was clear that everyone was in shock, including myself and the other fans at the game. My friends and I never thought someone would make a shot like this especially being a student like ourselves! As fellow Mavericks, we cheered her on as she was about to win $30,000! “It’s still wild to me. I woke up the next day and had, like, 100 notifications. Everyone at work is still congratulating me. It’s a great feeling,” Ward said. You go girl! Enjoy the big win and go Mavs!

My name is Nicole Hallman. I am a junior at MNSU and will be graduating in fall 2019. I'm majoring in mass media and minoring in communication studies. My hobbies consist of drinking coffee, traveling and cuddling with my dog Saul. 
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.