Minnesota Gopher Volleyball Team Claims Big Ten Title

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

The Minnesota Gopher volleyball team is making a name for themselves through this BIG Ten season. The Gopher volleyball team clinched the BIG Ten conference title in a thrilling 5-set match against Ohio State. This would be the program’s first conference win since 2015.

“I was incredibly proud in the way we played,” said head coach Hugh McCutcheon.

Along with winning the BIG Ten conference title, the Gophers extended their historic winning streak to 19 matches. The Ohio State volleyball team kept the Gophers on their toes. This was the last game ever played at the Ohio State St. John’s Arena, therefore, the Ohio State team was shooting for a win. In the final set, the teams were neck and neck. Minnesota eventually took the lead and won 15-11 from a major kill from Reagan Pittman.

“Just the fact that people can contribute at different ways on different nights. I think that’s what makes this particular group special,” McCutcheon said.

“For our athletes to be able to respond … and find ways to win was impressive to say the least,” McCutcheon said.

The Gophers will continue to work on their undefeated regular season against Penn State on Friday, November 23rd.

Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.