Meet Your Homecoming King, Na Chum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Name: Na ChumYear: Senior, Fall 2015Hometown: Mankato, MN 

HC: What is your major and what do you want to do post graduation?

Na Chum: “My major is Psychology with an emphasis on Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and I minor in Communication Studies. After graduation, I’m going to look towards furthering my education and going towards a Masters program in Industrial/Organizational Psychology.”

HC: What are you involved in on campus?

NC: “In my time at Minnesota State University Mankato, I’ve been involved in both the Residence Hall Association and a little bit in the Minnesota State Student Association (MSSA) during my freshmen and sophomore year. As of right now though my primary involvements have been through Greek Life where currently I am a member of Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. For Lambda Chi, I serve as our Fraternity Educator, where I educate our new members on what it means to be a Lambda Chi and most importantly a real fraternity man! Under Greek Life, I also serve as Interfraternity Council President, where I represent all eight of our social fraternities at MNSU. I serve on Centennial Student Union Board, which is a group of student representatives and faculty members that discuss the CSU! I am a member of The Herd and have been part of the League of Legends club.”

HC: What is the biggest impact you want to leave on fellow students at MNSU?

NC: “The biggest impact that I’ve gotten from MNSU is how groups or communities of people have impacted myself as an individual. I’m a community guy, and I think the student-groups (RSOs) here at our university have great potential to fulfill what our university strives to do. “Big ideas. Real-world thinking.” Since I’ve been able to with my various involvements in the university, I’ve tried to cultivate groups, or communities together in order to re-create the great experience I’ve gotten from MNSU for others here at this institution for years to come. Whether it’s educating new members of my fraternity or aiding in reestablishing the League of Legends group or advocating for students on CSU Board, I do it all to cultivate a sense of community for MNSU students.”

HC: What is your best advice for younger students here on campus?

NC: “Be mindful and self-aware; don’t close yourself up to your surroundings! It’s so easy to get caught up in the rush of going to classes, homework and group projects, part-time jobs, club meetings, and to balance it all out a social life. It’s so easy to be on auto-pilot while you’re navigating from point A to point B, but if you take look away from your phone and take a mental step back, you just might meet a new friend or encounter an opportunity you otherwise wouldn’t have.  Be actively involved with the world around you!”

I'm a Senior at MSU-Mankato, and the Marking Director for Her Campus MNSU! I am majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis in education. My eventual plan is to get my masters in special education. I currently work at the Harry Meyering Center, a group home for mentally and physically disabled adults, right here in Mankato. I love spending time with my family and friends, as well as taking part in various activities and volunteer opportunities to keep myself busy! Hockey and Football are my favorite sports, I'm strong in my faith, and you can always find me listening to country music! :)
Shaela Nelson (pronounced Shay-la), commonly referred to as Shae, is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato, majoring in marketing and minoring in entrepreneurship. Shaela enjoys being a part of many organizations on campus, volunteering with animals and randomly busting out crazy dance moves. Being from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes," you can find her enjoying the lake-life while boating, at any given time of the summer - when she's not a nanny for her favorite kiddos. Shaela enjoys writing for Her Campus because it allows her to express herself and the many ideas she has. Life Motto: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you imagined." -Henry David Thoreau