Meet The Seniors and Alumna of Her Campus MNSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Meet the 2017 seniors and alumna of Her Campus MNSU!

Grace Doyle is finishing up her last semester as the chair of Diversity and Recruitment for Her Campus MNSU. She is majoring in Mass Media and Gender Women’s Studies.

Morgan Schank is majoring in Business Administration and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.

Sam Johnson is finishing her last semester as Senior Editor of Her Campus MNSU. She is majoring in English Studies with an emphasis in Technical Communication.

Lizzy Lloyd is finishing her last semester as Vice President of Her Campus MNSU. She is majoring in Human Resource Management and minoring in Business Administration.

Alex Berg is majoring in Business Management and minoring in Computer Technology.

Haley Severson is majoring in Marketing and Photography.

Mariah Maas is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Business Administration and Financial Planning.

Shaela Nelson is finishing her last semester on campus at MNSU as President and founder of Her Campus MNSU. She is majoring in Communication Studies and minoring in Marketing.

Maddie Lietzau is majoring in Dental.

1. The most obvious question and probably the hardest to answer: What’s next?

• Grace: lol. Idk dude.

• Morgan: Over the summer, I will be working full time doing a Human Resources and Marketing internship! In the fall, I will be back to MNSU to finish up classes!

• Sam: Applying for internships and jobs until my fingers bleed. As well as moving to California in August with my boyfriend.

• Lizzy: I’ll continue the search for a career. I have had a few offers, but I want to make sure I choose the right one!

• Alex: I will be continuing to use my network to find a full-time career in Supply Chain and Logistics.

• Haley: After graduation start looking for jobs in the cities. Not sure exactly what I want to do right now so I am going to apply for a few different things.

• Mariah: I am going to continue my work with Sam’s Club as their new Membership Coordinator here in Mankato.

• Shaela: I actually changed my major one semester before I was set to graduate (I know, right?) so I will be moving home to save money and finish school. Currently looking for summer internships… Don’t ask me how that’s going.

• Maddie: I am currently working at a clinic full-time as a part of my internship. Once I pass my licensure exam, I will be eligible to apply for jobs!

2. Do you feel that you are ready for the real world?

• Grace: It is kind of scary going from a place where I’ve networked for 4 years and built up a name and credibility for myself to starting over somewhere new, but exciting at the same time.

• Sam: Yes and no. Graduating is a very bittersweet thing. One side of me feels ready to be an adult with responsibilities and a job that I enjoy, and the other wants to stay in the safety of Mankato where I just have to focus on school and not being too hungover to go to work on Sunday.

• Lizzy: YES!! I can’t wait to have a career and start a post-college life.

• Alex: Yes! I am so ready to be done studying for exams!

• Haley: Yes and no. Yes because I am so ready to not have school and homework anymore, but no because I am scared for the real world and paying back my student loans.

• Mariah: Is anyone ever ready for the real world; no. I am ready to be done with school and be a big girl but I am not ready for what that fully entails. Everytime I think about benefits I realize crap, I have to worry about that now. But as hard as it is, I’m ready for the next chapter.

• Shaela: Eh, kind of… but I still have a year to chill before I have to actually adult. I am going to miss the ability to nap a lot. I just really need a nap like every day and I heard the real world doesn’t allow you to nap on the clock?

• Maddie: Yes and no. I am ready to be done with the exams and the stress that comes along with school. However, I heard “adulting” in the real world isn’t all that great.

3. What is one thing you wish you would have done differently?

• Sam: I wish I would have gotten involved with RSOs sooner!

• Lizzy: I wish I would have gotten involved on campus, but also with my friends sooner. I went home a lot in the beginning, and I missed out on growing relationships with people early on.

• Alex: I wish I wouldn’t have come to college with a boyfriend that still was in high school. I feel like that held me back from making more friends my freshman year of college.

• Haley: ^^ What alex said 100% lol. I also wish I went to a bigger school.

• Mariah: I wish i would have jumped in 100% and got myself involved with RSOs, Greek Life, or Marketing Club. Just something to broaden my network.

• Shaela: Figured out good study habits freshmen year rather than going out all the time. Oops.

• Maddie: I wish I would have figured out my major earlier rather than later. It would have saved me some time.. and money.

4. What has Her Campus taught you?

• Sam: To be a strong, empowered woman who isn’t afraid to speak her mind.

• Mariah: How to get more involved in the campus and empower myself as a millennial woman.

• Shaela: Her Campus has taught me so much, I could probably write a book. I have learned leadership skills, how to build and maintain an organization, to be more open-minded to other walks of life and to enter the workforce as a confident and powered woman.

• Maddie: Her Campus has taught me everyone is different and that we all, as women, need to empower each other to achieve greatness.

5. Typical, but, any advice?

• Grace: Gain some experience. Join a new group. Start a blog. College is the best place to build a resume and add to a portfolio.

• Morgan: Step out of your comfort zone.. I didn’t until I was a junior and i wish i would have earlier! I learned so much about everything and myself once i did!

• Sam: Pretty generic, but, get involved!! You’ll make amazing friends and learn more about what interests you. Also, don’t be afraid to get out of your comfort zone and do things that make you uncomfortable. I did and ended up falling in love.

• Lizzy: I agree with Morgan, it’s so important to get out of your comfort zone! You will have experiences that will prepare you for stepping into the real world.

• Alex: Like everyone else, get involved and make yourself feel comfortable. You don’t know what you’re capable of doing without making yourself uncomfortable.

• Haley: Get involved, do things outside of your comfort zone, challenge yourself and push yourself to always do better. The harder you work the more prepared you will be for the real world

• Mariah: Get involved! If you don’t you will regret it. This is an experience that builds who you are as a person, so don’t hold back. Do what you want to do and have fun!

• Shaela: Push yourself out of your comfort zone and do something that will teach you something about yourself. Take a leadership position in an organization. Experience real-world learning opportunities. Have fun and don’t let the best years of your life pass you by… they go fast so do everything in your power to enjoy them!

• Maddie: Push yourself. There are going to be challenges and you are going to want to give up at times. Push through it – it will all be worth it.

6. Your opinion on college being “the best years of your life”?

• Sam: I wholeheartedly agree!

• Lizzy: I don’t know if they are the best but they are pretty great. And I think they are the most important, it’s a time for you to figure out who you are and what you enjoy doing without the pressures of living at home, having a career and big responsibilities.

• Haley: I agreed 100%

• Shaela: Truest statement ever

• Maddie: I agree with this statement.

7. What is one thing you will take with you as you enter the workforce? (Biggest lesson or advice given to you)

• Grace: Be intersectional. Diversity matters and everyone experiences life differently.

• Sam: Be kind to everyone you meet. Everyone has a story and we only know our own for certain.

• Lizzy: People will not always remember who you are or what you did, but they will remember how you made them feel.

• Alex: Be respectful and polite to everyone because you don’t know who they are or who they may become. I.e. your boss in 5 years.

• Shaela: This sounds cheesy, but the quote “go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you imaged” by Henry David Thoreau is my life mantra that I live by. If you want something, go get it, damnit!

• Mariah: To always shoot for the stars, anything you want can be possible. Set goals and crush them. Ultimately find your passion.

8. Anything else you want people to know?

• Sam: Hangover tips: Before you go out, leave a glass of water, crackers (or bread or something) and 3 ibuprofen by your bed. If you’re still tipsy by the time you get home, eat whatever you chose, take the ibuprofen and chug the water. Then, get yourself another glass for when you inevitably wake up in the middle of the night. If you still have a hangover in the morning, eat something (if you can), get a gatorade and dilute it: half water/half gatorade. An upset stomach will be able to handle that mixture so that you won’t just end up throwing it up, and you’ll start to rehydrate. It took me 4 years to figure this process out and it’s been a lifesaver!

• Lizzy: College may be some of the best years of your life, but remember life goes far beyond college. When you graduate, take the time to find a job that you will enjoy. Your first job won’t be your dream job, but you should still love what you’re doing.

• Mariah: Your college education is a growing time for you as an individual. It throws you out in the middle of the ‘world’ and expects you to just start swimming. It’s ok to sit and tread a little bit until you fully find yourself. Always keep your morals, dreams, and passions known so you can set yourself up for the best future you could imagine. You are becoming the person you have always dreamed about with the perfect life, don’t sit back and watch; take action. You got this.

Lindsay is Vice President of Her Campus MNSU and is currently in her third year at MNSU, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with emphasis on Psychology, Sociology and Corrections. She loves to write, which makes being a part of Her Campus one of her favorite things. Aside from writing, Lindsay enjoys collaborating, helping and teaching others.