Maverick Takeover – Homecoming 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Happy Homecoming from Her Campus MNSU! 

Throughout the week of October 5-10, Minnesota State celebrated Homecoming. There were many different activities planned to involve students all week. Here is a recap of some of the events that took place, proving Mankato Homecoming 2015 was the best one yet!

Purple Fountain

The water fountain in the CSU Mall was dyed purple by MSSA.

Bonfire

MNSU kicked off the homecoming week with a bonfire and ended the night with fireworks on the Maverick Midway, behind Blakeslee Stadium. The bonfire was 20-feet-tall and had 250 wooden pallets. The event totaled 1,400 students! There were samples from Insomnia Cookies, Erbert and Gerbet’s and Topper’s! Who doesn’t love free food, fireworks and a warm bonfire on a cold fall night?

Spirit Lunch and Cake with the Candidates

On Tuesday, October 6, students met outside at the CSU Mall to enjoy free samples from Insomnia Cookies, Toppers, Leeann Chin, Buffalo Wild Wings, Massad’s and Pizza Ranch. They also served cake with the homecoming royalty.

Dodgeball Tournament

On Tuesday night in Myers Field House, you could find students using the five D’s of dodge ball: dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodge. Congrats to the team “Maverick Pride Meets Crawford” on winning the tournament.

Food Eating Contest

On Wednesday, MNSU held a food eating contest. The Winner was Andy Nguenkam and he walked away with SIX months of FREE rent from Live Active Mankato, for eating Spaghetti the fastest without his hands.

Lip Sync

Thursday’s big event was Lip Sync. Student groups choreographed dances, and lip sang to different songs, competing against each other.

Coronation

Desiree Fredrick and Na Chum were crowned MNSU’s 2015 Homecoming Queen and King! Congrats to the both of them!

Homecoming Concert

For all of the country music fans at MNSU, this year’s homecoming concert was Jerrod Niemann. Some of his big hits include “Lover Lover” and “One More Drinking Song.”

Parade

The homecoming parade took place Saturday morning on Warren Street. Clubs, sports, organizations and Mankato businesses walked in the parade, showing their Maverick Pride.

Hockey Viewing Party

Students gathered in the Bullpen to watch hockey, sing karaoke and bowl and play billiards for free!

This Week In Sports

• Football: won against Augustana on Saturday. The game ended 35-27 and broke Blakeslee Stadium attendance record with 7,187 people! Rumor has it even Minnesota Viking Chad Greenway was in the stands.
  • Men’s Hockey: lost full series against Omaha, Nebraska on Friday and Saturday nights. They had a total of 4,898 Maverick fans in attendance 
  • Women’s Hockey: lost full series against University of North Dakota on Friday and Saturday nights.
  • Women’s Soccer: had Alumni Day on Saturday, and tied Minot State University 1-1. They also played on Sunday vs. University of Mary. It was Mankato United Day and Take Your Kid to the Game Day, with a Maverick Victory of 3-0! After the game, the team signed autographs! 
  • Swimming and Diving: meet against the University of South Dakota. The women lost 102.140.5.
  • Volleyball: victory of 3-0 vs. Minot State on Friday, and won again 3-0 vs. University of Mary.

Without the following women, none of the events would have been possible! 

• Kayla Stone, a junior from Baldwin, WI. She is the Homecoming Events Chair. She planned all of the major events including the bonfire & fireworks, the Jerrod Niemann Concert and the Hockey Viewing Party.
  • Natalie Garten is a sophomore from Bloomington, MN, is the 2015 Homecoming Competition Chair. She was in charge of all of the team events including as Lipsync & Coronation, food eating contest, Cram a Van and more!
  • Rachel Hoehn is a senior from St. Peter, MN. She is the Homecoming Promotions and Partnership Chair. Rachel was in charge of the homecoming promotions such as t-shirts, posters, banners and social media outlets. She was also in charge of the Spirit Lunch, homecoming kick off, the Medallion hunt and the Parade!

Also, a big THANK YOU to everyone else who helped put together all of these events! GO MAVS!!

I am a senior at Minnesota State University, studying marketing! When I'm not busy helping the Her Campus Marketing team, you can find me participating on the club gymnastics team, at Delta Sigma Pi events, at marketing club, or working!