Mariah Haffield: Your MSSA Student Body President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Name: Mariah Haffield

Hometown: Worthington, MN

Major: human resource management

Minor: political science

Graduation Year: spring 2016

To me she is a friend, but to most here on campus she is the bigger voice. This week’s Campus Celeb is your MSSA student body president, Mariah Haffield!

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

Mariah Haffield: “After I graduate from Minnesota State University, Mankato, I hope to attend law school. My “dream school” is the University of Minnesota Law School. It’s actually one of the top 20 law schools in the nation. After I graduate from a law school, I want to pass the bar exam and become a prosecuting attorney. I want to either be a county attorney, work in the Attorney General’s office, or, who knows, maybe be a justice on the Supreme Court of Minnesota!“

HC: What made you want to get involved with student government? And were you involved with things such as student council in high school?

MH: “I had several friends my freshman year who were members of the Minnesota State Student Association (MSSA). After hearing some of their stories, I decided to get involved. I always want to help people and to try to make a difference in at least one person’s life. I realized that MSSA was the way to do this. I decided to run for MSSA president because I truly care about the student body. I absolutely love the campus, and I want everyone to enjoy their time as much as I do. It upsets me when I hear that students dislike Minnesota State University, Mankato or want to leave, and I want to change that. I also wanted to run because I had recognized that there were some aspects of MSSA I wanted to change and felt I could do a good job of being the catalyst for that change.

I was involved with Student Council in high school, however, it is not the same as MSSA. MSSA is the bargaining unit for the students and administration, faculty, and staff often consult MSSA to hear their thoughts and opinions on issues. In high school, Student Council was not consulted as a barging unit, but rather planned events for students.”

HC: What other organizations are you a part of on campus?

MH: “I am also an active member of Sigma Sigma Sigma sorority, the Minnesota State University, Mankato Honors Program, and Order of Omega. I will be inducted in November into Beta Gamma Sigma, a national business honors society. In the past, I have also participated in the Pre Law Society and the Residence Hall Association (RHA). “

HC: If you had to pick your best memory from your time here at MNSU, what would it be and why?

MH: “Goodness, I have had so many good memories during my four years at MNSU, it’s hard to pick just one. From attending conferences, to meeting new people, to getting to meet Governor Dayton and MnSCU Chancellor Rosenstone, to just hanging out with friends and sisters, I have been very fortunate with the experiences I have had. The best memory I have had was flying to Washington, D.C. to attend the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL). It was interesting to meet so many other college women student leaders and it was very motivating to hear their stories. We had various workshops, speakers, and a pre-conference sessions. The various break-out sessions we had, taught me a lot about myself as a female student leader. It was also inspiring to go to our nation’s capital. I was able to go to the Newseum in Washington, DC, where I learned about the development of ways to disseminate the news and censorship problems reporters are facing around the world. Since I want to attend law school and become a prosecuting attorney, having a better understanding of First Amendment rights was very helpful as it helped me to realize how important it is to protect these rights.”

HC: What impact do you want to leave on MNSU?

MH: “I want to be able to make a difference in the life of at least one student here at Minnesota State University, Mankato. To be able to change someone else’s life for the better is the most rewarding and impactful thing an individual can do.”

HC: What would you consider your greatest accomplishments thus far?

MH: “As cliché as this sounds, my greatest accomplishment while at Minnesota State University, Mankato was being elected as the MSSA president for a second term. I was deeply honored and humbled to have been elected the first time and was even more honored and humbled to be elected for a second term. There hasn’t been a student who was elected to a second subsequent term in 25 years. I may also be the first female to serve a second subsequent term in office. Serving as the president of the 82nd and 83rd MSSA has been an extremely rewarding experience and am continually thankful to hold the position as MSSA president. I have been able to meet wonderful faculty, staff, administration, and students, I have had opportunities to attend many different conferences, as well as the opportunity to develop my leadership skills. “

HC: What would be your best piece of advice for new or incoming students?

MH: “My best piece of advice for new or incoming students is to be open to different opportunities or experiences. Get involved with an organization you would not have normally been involved with. Some of the best and most rewarding experiences can be found by moving beyond your comfort zone.”

I'm a Senior at MSU-Mankato, and the Marking Director for Her Campus MNSU! I am majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with an emphasis in education. My eventual plan is to get my masters in special education. I currently work at the Harry Meyering Center, a group home for mentally and physically disabled adults, right here in Mankato. I love spending time with my family and friends, as well as taking part in various activities and volunteer opportunities to keep myself busy! Hockey and Football are my favorite sports, I'm strong in my faith, and you can always find me listening to country music! :)