alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mankato Farmers’ Market

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Picture it: next Saturday morning, you wake up to no alarm, feeling rested. You throw on your favorite comfy outfit and head out of the house with one destination in mind- a bright, bustling, happy place. This is what I do on any given Saturday morning between June and October. The Farmers’ Market has become a complete infatuation for me and its ever growing offerings excite and intrigue many Mankatoans every week. The market and it’s vendors have evolved over time and now carry a seasoned, professional, but welcoming and smiling slew of faces to its customers, whether regulars or passers-by.

Rain or shine, the vendors haul their tents, tables, vans and trucks packed with oodles of goods to sell every week. They are there not only on Saturday mornings from 8:00 am- 12:00 pm, but also on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 3:30-6:00 pm, for those less inclined to the weekend morning tradition. If you’re curious, I’ve gathered a general list of some of the things you can find, but no run down of findings can beat the experience of seeing it for yourself and making friends with the vendors, so go check them out before the season ends!

Of course, you can find your run of the mill vegetable tables stacked high with squash, zucchini, potatoes, onions, all sorts of lettuce and greens, tomatoes, beans, peas, carrots, cucumbers, and basically any other produce your heart desires- with a wide variety of options and price ranges (competitively almost cheaper than the grocery store and 100x better tasting, btw), you’ll be sure to find something to add to your dinner. This year I came across a new, exciting find of freshly grown sprouts- you can’t make this stuff up!

Next up, you’ll find some more out of the box items, like wild caught Alaskan salmon flown in right from the source, fresh duck and chicken eggs, in every size and color, sweet corn trucks, and multiple tables of local, fresh honey and maple syrup (and yes, they have samples!!). My personal favorite, the “Glad girls” who sell pre-bunched Gladiolas in every beautiful color and combination you could want.

Fresh hot sandwiches are also a relatively new addition, and you can customize your next breakfast with ease, because treat yourself! What breakfast would be complete without a fresh juice from the WYSIWYG table or a hot brewed coffee also from a local company. You can also find rows of freshly baked rolls, pies, breads, granola, cookies, muffins, and more that will leave you drooling over the table.

If that doesn’t satisfy you, essentials like handmade organic soaps and beauty products, essential oils, baby clothes and other articles like wash clothes, hot pads, and aprons might tickle your fancy instead! There’s also an entire shop of handmade wooden furniture where you can sit and across the aisle watch while Malia Wiley sits and paints- literally paints beautiful pictures like it’s nothing!

There is something for everyone at our local market, and it’s our duty as citizens to take advantage of these lovely, skilled artists and local gems! Don’t wait until next year; your heart, tummy and wallet will thank you!

I am a senior Marketing major and Innovation and Entrepreneurship minor at MNSU, Mankato. I've been in charge of both the Marketing and Event teams for my Her Campus chapter and I love every second! Just a small town girl who loves Jesus, cooking and baking, being active, getting lots of sunshine, traveling, and spending time with her amazing family! 
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.