This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

I’m in no rush to settle down and marry, but the thought still crosses my mind. Where is he right now? Does he have blue eyes? Brown? Will he make me laugh like my first boyfriend or hold me close like my second? Will he have something quirky about him that will never fail to make me smile? Will he stay by my side until one day, this world no longer exists to us? Will it be the kind of love I have seen my grandparents experience for all of my life? I’m in no rush, but boy do I want a love like that.

My grandparents married at 18 and 20 and were together every single day that followed. Never once did they go 24 hours without catching a glimpse of each other. For 53 years they slept in the same bed, got ready in the same bathroom and walked down the same stairs to share a morning coffee. For 53 years, they experienced life together, raising three kids, followed by grandkids, traveling the world and most importantly: playing golf. My grandpa was always my grandma’s arms when she couldn’t reach the top shelf; and my grandma was always his knees for the floor. Had they not had each other, my grandma would have never used her mugs on the top shelf and my grandpa would have never put the pans away under the stove. They worked in sync, never missing a beat.

But boy did they bicker. Especially when you brought out the cards. If it weren’t for the twinkle that never left my grandpa’s eye every time he looked at my grandma, you’d need a marriage license to prove that they really put up with each other.  But after every card game they walked up the same steps, got ready in the same bathroom and slept in the same bed. A little bickering never hurt anyone and it sure as hell wasn’t going to break a bond like theirs.

My grandpa taught his family many things. My grandma likes to remember, “success comes in cans. Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” He taught her that it’s what you learn after you know it all that really counts. And of course, it takes a whole lot of “atta-boy’s” to make up for one “aw-shit”. He taught my mom to be self sufficient and that the only dumb question is the one not asked. She learned that her word matters and that she has a say. My grandpa taught us all that we could always count on him. For my mom, “My dad was LOVE.”

There is not enough space or time in the world to explain all that he has done for us. He was humble, generous and kind. Most importantly, he knew how to love. My grandpa taught me how to love. He wasn’t aware of it, but the twinkle in his eye spoke more than his lips ever could. Watching my grandparents taught me how to love, how to wait for what I deserve and how to treat someone whom you love. Thank you, Grandpa, for making the wait worth it, for showing me that I don’t need to be in any rush. Someday, I hope to find a love like yours.

Lindsay is Vice President of Her Campus MNSU and is currently in her third year at MNSU, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with emphasis on Psychology, Sociology and Corrections. She loves to write, which makes being a part of Her Campus one of her favorite things. Aside from writing, Lindsay enjoys collaborating, helping and teaching others.