Lindsay Thompson-Music Festival Miami Ultra Lights Stage Concert Balloons Music Edm
Lindsay Thompson / Her Campus

Let’s Talk About the Evolution of Harry Styles

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

As one of the many girls who in middle and high school obsessed over One Direction, thinking about how Harry Styles has grown into the artist he is, is amazing. Remember in 2012 when the British boy craze flew over America? All girls were getting crushes on the boys in One Direction and choosing who their favorite was. Harry Styles was quickly painted to be the pretty boy of the group. Many people knew who Styles was because of that and his hair. Imagine that. Working so hard to do something that you love, and all that people remember you for is the pretty boy with good hair. Now don’t get me wrong, I miss One Direction. But Styles has had an amazing solo career.

Self-titled was released in 2017. Starting off his solo career with an almost six-minute song, Sign of the Times. This was a bold move for his career. Especially because the sound was something that no one had heard from him before. I remember this day like everyone else on stan twitter does. Everyone was so excited for him to be back. The album was great, and the tour was even better. Each show his outfits got bolder and bolder and he got more comfortable performing. Harry Styles’ first era was memorable. He was bringing back a rock-influenced sound to a group of music listeners that were often shamed for being “bubble gum pop” lovers. But the Fine Line era has proven to be magical. 

Fine Line was released in December of 2019. Style’s sophomore album had songs that were similar to his first but, the album was more mature and more vulnerable. He was putting his all on the table and the fans adored it. More and more crazy fashionable outfits and Harry Style’s inspired manicures. I definitely copied the smiley face mani. Hey, it was cute! Throughout watching Styles get bigger with each album he puts out it is also amazing because you see how he has changed for the better and influenced his fans to as well. His whole motto is literally “Treat People with Kindness” and Harry Styles fans are some of the coolest fans I know because of that. As an avid music consumer and concert attendee I know many different fan bases. Styles’ fans started in the One Direction era as people who liked his music and thought he was pretty. As his solo career progressed people actually began to care about him and his message. 

Styles is adored by many who say that he has had a positive impact on their lives. Others say that his music is an escape for them. Either way his fans have almost grown into a little family. His concerts are filled with love and people enjoying a moment in time that they all can live in together. I know for myself that I have gained so many good friends and memories because of him and his music. Seeing an artist go from someone who is only known for their pretty face to someone who is actually respected for the art that they put out is amazing. I am just glad that I have been witnessing it all.

All you need is some coffee, music and your dog. Marketing major at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.