How Much Do You Know About Astrology?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

If you’ve met me personally, you know I often find myself dabbling in the idea of spirituality, the other side and all things supernatural. This combined with my overall fear and amazement (but mostly fear) of space left me falling down the rabbit hole of astrology. It may be my inner earth sign coming out (shout out to the Taurus gang), but I was very skeptical of astrology in the beginning. Horoscopes were always slightly too vague to hold any real value for me, yet somehow too complex for me to ever fully get a grasp of. Nonetheless, after analyzing my birth chart in depth, I’m hooked.

Here are a few interesting tips that I have picked up in my amateur research into astrology.

You Have Three Signs

Contrary to popular belief, you are more than just the sign that aligns with your birthday and horoscope. The sign that corresponds with your horoscope is called your Sun Sign and is only one of three different major signs in your chart. The other two are your Moon Sign and your Rising Sign (also known as Ascendant). While your Sun Sign corresponds with your overall personality, your Moon Sign shows up in your emotions. The Ascendant (my personal favorite) guides how you present yourself to the world.

Four Elements of Signs

The twelve zodiac signs are divided into four different elements, each of which having their own sets of characteristics.

Earth: (Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo)

Earth signs, naturally, are those individuals that you would describe as being “down to earth”. They tend to have a strong grip on reality and the ability to manifest results for themselves. While they can be seen as stubborn and less adventurous individuals, it is usually because they place a lot of value in loyalty and stability.

Air: (Libra, Aquarius, Gemini)

Air signs are the adventurous, social butterflies of the zodiac. They tend to have a passion for travel and are driven by big ideas. While their personalities can be a bit too flighty for some, air signs tend to have a prevalent intellectual connection with the world and place importance on things being fair and just.

Fire: (Aries, Leo, Sagittarius)

Fire signs are known for being able to light up a room. They are almost impossible to go unnoticed, as their personalities are often exciting and enthusiastic. Fire signs are driven- they know what they want and are not afraid to go after it. While fire signs can occasionally be reckless, impatient (and in my personal experience, loud), they know how to get things done.

Water: (Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces)

If you are seeking creativity and imagination, look no further than the water signs. Like water, these signs take the shape of whatever situation that they are in. Water signs tend to be deep thinkers, which can cause the line between dreams and reality to blur. These signs are by far the most caring and emotional of the zodiac.

High Functioning vs. Low Functioning Signs

While everyone has great qualities to their personality, we’ve all got a few things that we could improve upon. Your astrological sign works on a sort of scale from high-functioning to low-functioning. Taking my sign for example, a high-functioning Taurus may be driven, realistic, stable and loving of the people in their lives. A low-functioning Taurus on the other hand could show traits of extreme stubbornness, laziness and have a slight hoarding problem. We may like to think that we get all of the good traits, but if you’re anything like me you’re bound to have picked up a couple of the not so great ones.

Compatibility Is Subjective

I hate to be the one to say this, but just because your ex was an Aries doesn’t necessarily mean you should write them off for life (plus Aries are way fun, trust me, you wouldn’t want to do that). Just like life, astrology is complex. In order to get any kind of accurate reading in that realm, you would have to match up you and your significant others birth charts to see where your planets and houses lie in relation to one another. Overall, it’s important to remember that your relationships shouldn’t be based off of what the internet tells you when it comes to your sun sign or horoscope.

These tips just brush the surface of the complexities of astrology. If you are interested in checking out your own birth chart, I would recommend looking in to https://cafeastrology.com/ .

Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.