This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Summer is a time to get away from it all with friends, to stop thinking about school and focus on savoring the limited months you have of the sunshine. But let’s face it, most of us are college students and don’t have enough money for a McChicken. You wanna get away, so what do you do with a tight budget?

One of the ways that you can save money is to start budgeting earlier. Make a plan and stick to saving money early on in the year so that you can go to the place that your friends all decide on. I know that many people, including myself, are procrastinators and are trying to scrounge for some money right now, so here are some ideas for you to get started.

First of all, go local for now. If you want to go bigger for your event you can always start saving at the beginning and do one last summer hoorah before life starts again. Thinking on the local level there is nothing wrong with exploring your local surroundings and finding out what there is in your city or surrounding cities. Go for a hike at a trail you have never done before, is there a lake or pool you have never visited but have always wanted to go? Go.

Your summer vacation doesn’t have to be this extravagant thing that you are required to do. You can keep it simple and also have a good time while doing it. I think that we put this expectation around FOMO, while you can have some of those same experiences from a closer perspective. As long as you are with your friends it shouldn’t matter where you are, as long as you are around people who make you happy.

Summer can be as fun as you make it, if you want to sit around and do nothing or if you want to explore your surroundings. Make a road trip and go to a drive in movie theater. Your summer vacation does not have to be some extravagant thing, but it can be amazing if that’s how you want to make it.

I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.