This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last 8+ months, you’ve definitely used at least one of Snapchat’s filters (or lenses as they’re officially called). From funny to downright bizarre (I’m talking about you, mouth-for-eyes filter), the ever changing selection definitely changed the snap game.

Of course nothing fun can stay that way; someone always has to ruin it. Now I don’t know who the originator of the “hoe filter” concept was, but as with most things that end up on Twitter, users took the concept and ran with it. If you aren’t sure what I mean by the “hoe filter,” it’s basically any filter that a lot of women like to use which make us look 10 times better than we do in real life.

If you aren’t sure which filters are “hoe filters, here’s a quick rundown:

1. The Dog Face (original hoe filter)

2. The Palm Tree (debatable)

3. The Flower Crown (newest member of the hoe filter fam)

If you haven’t noticed, most of the people shaming these filters are men. Yes, there’s the occasional girl from “pick me Twitter” throwing in her two cents, but as usual nobody cares what she has to say (not sorry girl). So I have to ask, what is it with guys and Snapchat Filters?!

I’ve come to the realization that a lot of men will hate anything that women do in solidarity. Is your masculinity so fragile that you’re threatened by A FILTER ON A SOCIAL MEDIA APP? I keep seeing this claim from men that filters are “false advertising.” False advertising? As if we’re out here trying to look good for your approval? As if we’re just items for you to pick and choose? Guess again.

There are basically two schools of thought when it comes to fighting this “hoe filter” idea. Some snappers/tweeters embrace the “hoe filter,” posting photo’s of themselves using these filters and captioning it with one of those stupid tweets. Taking the insults and making them their own takes the power away from the attackers.

Others suggest not playing into it. They argue that embracing the “hoe filter” just gives more power to the attackers.

All I know is most men these days will literally look for ANY reason to call a girl a hoe. If it’s not a snapchat filter it’s going to be something else, like having too many followers or getting too many likes on a tweet or Instagram post. So if any man would like to explain the correlation between being a hoe and using a Snapchat filter, I’m here to listen. Until then, please be offended by my 35 daily dog face snapchats.

Her Campus MNSU writer. Mass Media major at Minnesota State University, Mankato.