Haley Severson: an Active Campus Member and 2016 Homecoming Queen Candidate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Her Campus MNSU’s Acquisitions Editor, Haley Severson, was nominated as a candidate to be the 2016 Homecoming Queen. She is a hardworking collegiette who continuously makes her chapter proud. Before you go out and vote, we wanted to give you some insight on all things Haley!

Name: Haley Severson

Year in school: Senior

Majors/minors: mass media major, minors in marketing and photography

Her Campus: What is your involvement on campus? Do you hold any positions?

Haley Severson: I am the Public Relations Vice President of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Panhellenic Council Vice President of Public Relations and Marketing, Her Campus Acquisitions Editor, PRSSA, Greek Housing Committee, Younglife, etc.  

HC: What is your favorite part about being involved on campus?

HS: I love pushing myself. I am very motivated and I love trying new things. Getting involved is something I am very passionate about and I love inspiring people to get involved like I have. My favorite part is seeing all of my hard work pay off! It feels good to know I can make a difference.

HC: How do you manage all of the activities you are a part of?

HS: I am very organized. My planner is like my best friend. I color code my work, homework due dates, meetings, etc. I write everything down and that helps me get through my busy schedule!

HC: Where is your favorite place to study on campus, and why?

HS: I like studying in the Greek Office, it is a place I feel at home and can get a lot of stuff done without being too distracted.

HC: What is your life motto?

HS: Everything happens for a reason!

HC: What is a piece of advice that you would give to someone who is new at MSU-Mankato?

HS: Advice I would give to new students would be, “Do you want the Ultimate College Experience? Get involved. Leadership and success come to those who work hard and who try new things.”

HC: What are three adjectives to describe yourself?

HS: Ambitious, Passionate, Motivated

HC: When you’re not on campus attending meetings and events, or studying, what can you be found doing?

HS: I am either working at Sun Tan City, or you could probably find me napping at home. I love my 30 minute naps because they get me through my busy schedule!

HC: What does being a Maverick mean to you?

HS: Being a Maverick means being the best student I can be. Being a Maverick is showing off school pride, getting involved, and achieving high academics.  

HC: How did you get nominated to be a candidate for Homecoming Queen?

HS: Gamma Phi Beta Sorority nominated me as their representative for Homecoming Queen!

HC: What would winning Homecoming Queen mean to you?

HS: It would mean the world to me. It is such an honor to even be a candidate for homecoming queen. I have worked extremely hard the last four years and it is exciting to be recognized for my hard work, I hope it pays off!

HC: How have you given back to the community during your time at MSU-Mankato?

HS: For the past three years, I have been a Girls on the Run coach. Girls on the Run is Gamma Phi Beta’s international philanthropy. We have a local Girls on the Run program at the YWCA and being a coach has been such a life changing experience. I love building strong girls and being a role model for them has been so rewarding. I have also volunteered at numerous events and and other volunteer opportunities on campus.

HC: How can people vote?

HS: You go onto OrgSync and login with your starID and password. 

Royalty voting opens Monday at noon and goes until 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday. Thursday at 6:30 p.m. in Bresnan Arena is coronation and the Lipsync Competition (which I get to help judge as President of Her Campus)!

Good luck, Haley! 

Haley was honored with being on the BEST Board in the CSU Hearth Lounge. Faculty and staff can nominate students who they believe are campus leaders. Haley is pictured fourth and her quote says “Do you want the ultimate college experience? Get involved. Leadership and success come to those who work hard and who try new things.”

Shaela Nelson (pronounced Shay-la), commonly referred to as Shae, is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato, majoring in marketing and minoring in entrepreneurship. Shaela enjoys being a part of many organizations on campus, volunteering with animals and randomly busting out crazy dance moves. Being from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes," you can find her enjoying the lake-life while boating, at any given time of the summer - when she's not a nanny for her favorite kiddos. Shaela enjoys writing for Her Campus because it allows her to express herself and the many ideas she has. Life Motto: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you imagined." -Henry David Thoreau