This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Everyone deserves to feel loved, no matter what day it is. And, if there’s at least one day everyone should be included in the love, it’s February 14th. Here are a few ways to really spread the love on The Day of Love:

• Visit with the Elderly

Sad as it may be, there are some elderly folks in nursing homes who have pretty much been forgotten by their families. Take time out on Valentine’s Day to keep them company. Perhaps you’ll find yourself going back for follow-ups.

• Make cards for the Children’s Ward

The Children’s Ward can be a pretty cool place to hang out (assuming you overlook the sad fact that it’s a hospital ward, of course). It goes without saying that you’ll have to plan ahead and go through the proper channels to see admitted patients, but it’ll all be worth it once you see the smiles on the kids’ faces.

• Help out at the Homeless Shelter

Sadly, Valentine’s Day doesn’t mean there’ll be less homeless people. It does mean, though, that you can go out and spread the love to these less than fortunate people. Chat with them; give them warm smiles; let them know someone cares. You can even take your boo along for an overnight shift.

• Give Blood

Someone is almost always in need of blood in the United States. Donating blood, which is really a small price to pay, can save the lives of cancer patients, premature babies, and the likes. There’s no better Valentine’s Day gift than life, and by donating blood, you are giving the greatest gift.

• Send Letters to those in Service

It’s unlikely that people on active duty this Valentine’s Day will get time off to celebrate. So, why don’t you send letters and care packages to them, letting them know you appreciate their service? Your parcel might take a while to reach, but you’ll spend the Day of Love knowing you’ve made a meaningful impact.

Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.