The Girl Who Does it All: Shaela Nelson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Shaela is on the left, with our VP, Lizzy, on the right.

Name: Shaela Nelson

Major: marketing

Minor: entrepreneurship

Year: junior 

Hometown: Prior Lake, MN

Shaela Nelson is a junior here at Minnesota State University, Mankato. While some find it difficult to balance school, work and social activities, Shaela sets an awesome example for how to do just that and make it look effortless. She is the Wall Street Journal brand ambassador for the College of Business, the banquet chair for Delta Sigma Pi – a professional business fraternity, and last but not least, the Founder, Campus Correspondent, Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus MNSU. We had a chance to sit down with Shaela and learn more about her!

HC: What is your favorite quote?

SN: “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau

HC: What is your favorite thing about MNSU?

SN: “All of the people I have met and made friends with. Also, the campus is super nice and I love the College of Business. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.”

HC: Why did you choose to start a chapter of Her Campus at MNSU?

SN: “I woke up one morning in spring semester 2015, I was reading articles by other Her Campus authors, and then I decided I wanted to write articles like this. I also believe that woman can be just as successful as men and this is a way to grow woman empowerment throughout the community. I never could have imagined that it would become so successful so fast. I am so thankful for the wonderful group of girls that come each week with just as must enthusiasm and passion as I do!”

HC: What can you be found doing on the weekends?

SN: “Going out with friends and being ruthless, haha just kidding… kind of. Gotta unwind from the stressful weekdays!”

HC: What is your ideal first date?

SN: “A good surprise – I am all about sponteneity.”

HC: What is your favorite show to binge watch?

SN: “Bachelor, Dexter, Orange is the New Black and the Kardashians.”

HC: What is your dream job?

SN: “To be a marketing director at Google, and then retire at age 45. Then travel the world on my 300ft yacht.”

HC: What is some advice you would give freshman?

SN: “Do as many welcome week activities as possible because that is when you will meet the most people. Be outgoing, don’t be afraid to approach new people. Don’t wear your lanyard around your neck. Get involved with as many organizations as your time allows. Stay here on the weekends. Be nice to everyone. Be a good roommate. Try to make the most out of each day, your time here flies by.”

HC: What are the things you look for in a potential boyfriend?

SN: “That they treat me nice and respect me, support all of my goals, find them attractive, honesty, smells good, follows through on things they say they’re going to do, can pick me up (physically and mentally), and can handle my crazy, outgoing, over-the-top personality.”

HC: What is an interesting fact about you?

SN: “I was born without a thyroid gland and I have a tattoo of a cross on my right shoulder in my grandpa’s honor, whom I never got the honor to meet – but I have always wished I had.”