timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Getting Over Writer’s Block

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Writer’s block is a real bitch. It doesn’t matter if you write every single day or once a year, everyone experiences writer’s block. When I’m trying to write articles for HC, I find it hard sometimes to come up with a good topic that people might actually want to read about. I was trying to think about a topic for this article and could not come up with anything, thus me writing about the ever-feared writer’s block. If you are stuck and need a little help with your writing, follow these tips!  

Take a break

If you are staring at your paper or laptop waiting for inspiration to strike, it probably won’t. Taking a break is a good way to relieve your mind for a little bit rather than giving yourself a headache trying to think about what to write next. Try going for a walk or listening to music to distract your brain for a while. Just make sure you come back to it!

Always be on the lookout for inspiration

Be prepared for inspiration to strike at any time. A great way to find something to write about is by looking around you. I learned in my creative writing class that if you are stuck, one of the best things you can do is write about something you already know, whether it’s a passion or a memory. Writing these things down may jog your memory to remember other events or help you come up with a new one! If you are trying to write a story, go out in public and pay attention to the people around you. If you see someone you think would make a good character, nonchalantly take down the characteristics you notice so you can write about them later. Being in nature is also a great place to get inspiration. Go for a hike or sit by a waterfall or watch trains go by, something will pop up in your head! I have heard a lot about people getting their ideas when they are in the shower so next time you take one, remember your thoughts and jot them down when you’re out.

Write drafts

Writing shitty work is better than not writing at all, as long as you fix it later. (For great writing tips read the book “Bird by Bird” by Anne Lamott.) Even if you feel stuck, keep writing. In my creative writing class we talked about if you have nothing else to write about, write about your school lunches when you were a kid. This may seem weird but you are still getting words on a paper! You never know, it may lead to great ideas. Whenever you come up with a new topic, write it down, even if you don’t need one at the moment you will likely need one later. I keep small notebooks with me wherever I go: in my car, my purse and my backpack. I advise everyone do this because you never know when you will want to write things down. Take these topics and just write! I have a tendency to plan on writing about one topic but the more I get into the article, it turns into something completely different which is okay. As long as you are writing, you’re fine! 

Writer’s block hits us all and it can be hard to overcome. Follow these few simple steps and let your imagination run wild!

Olivia is a senior at Minnesota State University, Mankato. She is double-majoring in Mass Media and English and has hopes to get into publishing. She is the current senior editor for the MNSU chapter of Her Campus and loves to write. In her free time when she's not writing or editing, she loves to sleep, hang out with friends, longboard, read and sleep some more.
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.