Gettin’ Juicy at WYSIWYG Local Mankato Juice Bar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

What is a juice bar? As said best by the one and only Entrepreneur Magazine, “A juice bar that serves customers fresh-squeezed fruit juice drinks and smoothies is a fantastic new business enterprise to put into action, as more and more people are striving to lead healthier lifestyles.” The businesses tend to serve pre-made juices, a variety of fruit smoothies, and more organic and healthier meal options.

My name is Sydney Thorson, and I have gotten the lovely privilege of being an employee of WYSIWYG. “WYSIWYG” is actually an acronym that the owners Kristi Schuck and Marie Christiansen created. It stands for “What You See Is What You Get,” and it means exactly that! The products they make and use are all gluten-free and organic.

Working there has been such an amazing experience. It has been a full year now for me, but it seems as though I’ve worked there my whole life with how close my relationships with my coworkers and managers have become. I started off working as what we call a “multi-tasker.” My job was to make smoothies, prep easy food recipes, and help out the customers. Since almost five months ago, I have earned the role of being a WYSIWYG juicer. Now, I get to throw a bunch of fruit and veggies into this large compact machine that squeezes the produce until it liquefies into the colorful, vibrant, and healthy juices.

There are technically eleven juices that are sold in the shop every week. Each of them are ranked in tiers, the first tier drinks have more natural sugars (more fruits), the second tiers have a little more of an earthy taste because of the extra vegetables added, and the third tiers are for the most experienced juicers because they have the most greens in them. Each of the juices have their own job. For example, we have a juice with the name Immunity. Its ingredients consist of beets, carrots, spinach, green apples, pears, and pineapples. Served in a sixteen- or eight-ounce bottle, “Immunity” has specific vitamins and minerals, found in each of the fruits and vegetables, that give it the natural ability to help prevent the common cold.

The workplace is so positive all the time, and that is my favorite part about my job. Not only do I feel like a healthier human just working there and having an excuse to buy the products I sell, but mentally, being in the shop with my coworkers makes me feel so happy.

Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.