Galentine’s Day! The Best Day of the Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

My best friend from K-12 school and I have a tradition of going out to brunch every February 13th. No matter how busy we are, how far apart we are (she goes to school in Chicago and I go to school in Mankato, Minnesota), we always find the time. That’s the beauty of Galentine’s day. It’s a day to remember that “ladies support ladies” through everything. Everyone gets busy, but that one day a year you can take comfort in being with your best friends and chatting like you used to when you were closer. It’s honestly one of my favorite days of the year. Here’s how it started and how to celebrate it right.

Galentine’s Day started when Leslie Knope, a character in episode 16 of season two of the TV series “Parks and Recreation” had brunch with her girlfriends the day before Valentine’s Day. While Valentine’s Day is dedicated to celebrating the love you have with a romantic partner, Galentine’s day is a day to celebrate the connection you have with your closest girlfriends. This holiday is especially good for single people who usually dread the romantic holiday. While this started as a “Leslie Knope Holiday,” it has taken off everywhere. Many people who have never even heard of the TV show “Parks and Recreation” celebrate the holiday. In an effort to spread the word I created an event at my college, Minnesota State University, Mankato with the Women’s Center at MNSU. We will have pastries, mocktail mimosas, candy and positive females to empower women everywhere. So remember, if you want to celebrate the empowerment of females, February 13th is the day to do it. Have a great Galentine’s Day! Eat plenty of chocolate!  

minnesota state university, mankato '22 🐃 i manage social media accounts 🔮 known for being loud, short and social 🦋 whisker media 😽 #blacklivesmatter❣
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.