Dance Marathon: It’s For the Kids!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

So you may have heard the words “Dance Marathon” before, but aren’t exactly sure what it is or if it really involves a marathon of dancing. So what is Dance Marathon (DM)? Dance Marathon is year-round, student-run, philanthropic organization where we raise money to benefit hospitals with Children’s Miracle Network, specifically Gillette’s Specialty health care in Minnesota.

In the past four years, MSU, Mankato Dance Marathon has raised approximately $50,000 for the children. We were the leading innovator in bringing Dance Marathon to Minnesota and now it’s an international movement, sweeping the nation with 450+ schools around the nation banding together and raising money for the kids (FTK).

Recently, MSU, Mankato Dance Marathon had our first 24-hour fundraiser to “Break the Bank FTK Raise 6k in One Day” where we tried to raise $6,000 in one day alone to celebrate our sixth year on campus. We had a table set up all day where you could register online, donate or purchase items to help go toward the goal. We also had a flash mob that was performed in the student union to help market the event. Many of the exec members, including myself, started personal social media campaigns to help promote and raise money for the cause. The goal this year is to raise $20,000 by the big event.

The hard work paid off when we ended up exceeding our goal and raised over $6,500 in just one day!

At the end of all the fundraising, we host an event to celebrate the money raised as well as the children who benefit from DM. This year the event will be held Feb. 27, 2016 in the CSU Ballroom from 2-10 p.m. There you can meet the families, hear their stories, eat food, play games, listen to music, and of course, dance for the kids.

If you’re interested in getting involved with DM this year, contact Nicole Johnson (nicole.johnson-1@mnsu.edu) for more information.

And make sure to follow MSU, Mankato Dance Marathon on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, visit our website or donate to the cause!

Remember, it’s for the kids!

Wannabe World Traveler.Adventure Seeker.Minnesota Living.Lover of Sports.Avid Coffee Drinker.