Freshman Hero 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Freshman Hero 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

College Advice for Incoming Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

As a senior in college, I wouldn’t consider myself an expert “at college”, but I would definitely say that I know a few things. I remember being an incoming college freshman, reading all summer on Pinterest what I should pack, re-reading my orientation pamphlets, and anxiously messaging back and forth with my soon-to-be freshmen year roommate about what we wanted to bring to our dorm room. Now that it is the spring of my senior year, I have had so much fun reminiscing about all of my favorite college memories. Thinking about all those memories has made me want to share a few things that I wish I would’ve been told before my freshmen year. 

1. EVERYONE IS NERVOUS. AND WHEN I SAY EVERYONE, I MEAN IT. 

Trust me, every other freshman moving into your hall is just as nervous as you, if not more! So REMEMBER that when you are at your first-floor meeting, first 8 am class, first football game, first meal in the dining center alone! Don’t feel like everyone can tell how nervous you are- they are more worried about themselves than anything else. So be confident in yourself and remember- you are not alone in feeling nervous! 

1. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ANY OPPORTUNITY TO MEET PEOPLE. 

Yes, yes, this might be the most repeated piece of advice given to college freshmen. But it is so, so true! Any chance to meet people is a chance to meet an amazing new friend. Just because you meet a few great people on your floor the first day doesn’t mean you should stop making friends! Explore all kinds of opportunities and people- the connections you make throughout freshman year can be so beneficial. Someone you meet once freshmen year might be the reason you get that job senior year or might be your last-minute roommate junior year. You just never know, and you are only hurting yourself if you don’t go out and meet others. 

1. FIGURE OUT THE BEST WAY TO MANAGE YOUR TIME. 

Buy a planner or download Google Calendar. This one is SO SIMPLE and will bring you so much success. Find out whatever way works best for you to manage your time. Write everything down or put it somewhere on your phone. Assignments, campus events, movie night with your roommate! Your brain will thank you for not having to remember EVERY SINGLE THING, and you will be stress-free (at least about your schedule). 

1. USE THIS TIME TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU LOVE. 

Freshmen year is a chance to discover the things you love. A new major, a new hobby, a new lifestyle! You will have free time I promise- take a break from studying, and attend a meeting for that RSO you were thinking about joining or go on a walk! Go to the library and find a book that interests you, explore the town, take an exercise class! Do something high school you wouldn’t have done- you never know, it might be your new favorite thing!

1. GET INVOLVED ON CAMPUS. 

In any way you can, get involved! Join a club, volunteer somewhere, or get involved on your floor. I promise you won’t regret it! Any leadership experience would look great on a resume, and you might meet someone/ make a connection that could change your life. Giving back to campus always feels great too! 

1. DON’T THINK TOO HARD ABOUT IT. 

Don’t worry if you feel like your college experience might not be like everyone else’s- that is okay, it’s not supposed to be! It is going to be unique to you, and that is the best part! Don’t think too hard about what you are doing- just get to school and follow your heart. Things will fall into place, I promise. Enjoy it, be yourself, and one day you will smile when you think about how nervous you were, just like I am now!

Hey there! I'm Maddie. I am a senior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and I am studying Communication Disorders. In my free time I like to read, wander thrift stores, eat great food, laugh a-lot, add songs to my Spotify, and spend time with the people that I love. Right now, I am super into learning about minimizing my waste and doing what I can to create a healthier planet and a stress free mind!