Coco: Is it really Oscar-worthy?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

The 90th Oscars premiered on March 4th. Winning an Academy Award is an accomplishment that many in the movie industry hold. Being nominated is an honor, but if you look at one particular Disney movie, Coco, did it actually deserve an Oscar?

This year’s Animated Feature Film Award went to Disney-Pixar’s Coco. The movie is about the Mexican holiday, Dia de Los Muertos or Day of the Dead when relatives come together to celebrate and remember their dead loved ones.

The movie follows Miguel, who is in love with music, despite his family’s hatred for music. He finds an old picture of his great-great-grandfather, who turns out to be his musical hero, Ernesto de la Cruz. When he strums the guitar, he’s transported to the Land of the Dead. There, he meets his whole family, including Ernesto, who was the one who banished music from the family.

I loved this movie. It was cute and sweet, with funny moments like most Disney movies. I know of the Day of the Dead after learning about it in high school, but I felt this movie really shed some light on the tradition. I also loved this movie because it really showed how much one kid was really to hold onto something he loved. We all want to find something we love and are passionate about, and this movie portrayed that. It also showed the importance of family, and how much you need them in order to grow and succeed.

Do I think that this movie deserved an Oscar? I do. I really feel this movie was heartwarming with a lot of good messages that anyone, young or old, could abide by. This movie showed the importance of family and how much you need to remember the loved ones in your life. Coco shows that even if your beliefs are different from your family’s, they will still love you and still support you. I think this is a very important message for kids to hear today.

I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.
Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.