andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

As feminists, we can assure you that there is nothing more attractive than when you are asked for your consent. You don’t think so? Well, if you had ever attended one of Mike Domitrz’s “Can I Kiss You?” shows you would probably agree with us… but first let’s go over a quick review of what consent is:

Consent 101: 1) Ask the question and respect the answer. 2) Just because they said yes once does NOT mean you have consent in the future. 3) If a person is under the influence of drugs or alcohol then they CANNOT give consent. 4) A person’s wardrobe, attitude, body, etc. is NOT “asking for it” and is NOT an invitation for you to touch them. To learn more about consent visit Respect is Love for more information.

So now you know what consent is… but do you know how to help those who are not asked for consent or when they say no and are ignored. Let’s talk about bystander intervention.

Bystander Intervention 101: A prevention strategy to intervene when witnessing sexual assault, violence, bullying, intimate partner violence and other kinds of harassment and assault. Intervening appropriately on a situation can help to prevent a situation from escalating.  Want to know more? Stop into the Violence Awareness and Response Program office located in CSU 218 or in the meantime visit the National Sexual Assault Resource Center site.

The “Can I Kiss You?” one-person show is one of the most critically acclaimed and highest attended events on college campuses across the country by both males and females of all backgrounds and sexual orientations.

Author and speaker Mike Domitrz, a nationally renowned healthy dating expert and founder of “The Date Safe Project,” will present his “Can I Kiss You?” program in a performance at Minnesota State University, Mankato’s Centennial Student Union Ballroom Tuesday, Jan. 26 from 7-9 p.m. 

The presentation is FREE and open to the public.

Attending this event has been known to open up the perspectives of young men and women. Do you want learn how to be more considerate of a person’s boundaries and know how to start a healthy and respectful relationship? Do you want to learn how to appropriately intervene when you witness someone in a potentially dangerous situation? Then don’t miss this event!

According to his website, The Date Safe Project, Domitrz reveals a simple approach to intimacy that no one ever shares. His presentations describe the exact words to say, how to precisely handle a situation if someone says “no” and an amazing way to impact others’ lives. Domitrz makes the audience a vital part of the experience in his performances, and audience members will have a chance to win “Want Some Action?” and “Can I Kiss You?” t-shirts, which will also be available to purchase after the program.

STUDENTS: The “Can I Kiss You?” event is considered a diversity event! If you’re enrolled in a class that requires you to attend a few diversity events then this is an opportunity for you to fulfill that requirement! This is an event that you don’t want to miss and we know that you’re going to enjoy it. Who knows, you might learn something! Make sure to say hi after the show. We’d love to tell you we told you so!

To learn more about the “Can I Kiss You?” program, contact Laura Schultz, violence awareness & response coordinator at Minnesota State Mankato, by phone at 507-389-5127 or by email at laura.schultz-1@mnsu.eduThis program is sponsored by Minnesota State Mankato’s Violence, Awareness & Response Program, Residential Life, Student Affairs, and University Security.

About the Minnesota State Mankato Violence Awareness and Response Program: The Violence Awareness and Response Program (VARP) provides a safe, supportive space for students and others affiliated with Minnesota State Mankato. VARP’s mission is to reduce the pervasiveness and effect of sexual violence, domestic/relationship violence and stalking. To learn more about the Violence Awareness and Response Program (VARP) click here.

We’ve told you how being asked for consent is attractive, but it’s important to remember that consent is REQUIRED before any exchange of physical intimacy. Ask first and respect the answer!

Elise Pawlak is a double major in Creative Writing and Mass Media with double minor in Gender Women’s Studies and Nonprofit Leadership at Minnesota State University, Mankato. She is constantly running around campus with being the President of Society of Professional Journalists, Treasurer of Public Relations Student Society of America, Treasurer of Gender Women’s Studies club, the Communications chair for the Women of Action Committee, and the Public Relations intern for the MNSU Women’s Center. When she does have a free moment it is spent rewatching Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes and connecting with her spirit animal: The Bloody Mary. After she graduates in May of 2016 she plans to pursue a career in the world of writing… hopefully landing a job that will help her pay off her student loans before she starts collecting social security.
Hello! My name is Leah Rost and I'm a senior Gender and Women's Studies major double minoring in Creative Writing and Sexualities Studies. This is my second year as an intern for the Women's Center and I am President of Gender and Women's Studies club. In my free time I write poetry, do yoga, hike and love to laugh a lot!