Brett Kavanaugh: A Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

A name you might have heard in the news recently, and for a while, is Brett Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh, if you have not heard, is President Trump’s nominee for Supreme Court Justice to replace Supreme Court justice Anthony Kennedy. There has been a lot going on the media about him, as more and more things from his past are coming up and it is hard to keep up with all the rumors. Even as I was writing this article, more news of the Kavanaugh case has been brought to light.

Brett Kavanaugh was born on February 12 1965, in Washington D.C. Kavanaugh attended Georgetown Preparatory School, an all boys school in Maryland. He played sports there such as football and basketball along with being on the school’s newspaper. After high school, Kavanaugh attended Yale University, and then after graduating, attended Yale Law School. His career in law started out in 1993 when he worked as a law clerk for Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, this is coincidentally who he would replace if nominated on the Supreme Court.

After his employment with Kennedy, he began to work with Kenneth Starr, the prosecutor that is known for his work in the Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky affair. After this, he began work with former President George W. Bush as an assistant, staff secretary and the senior assistant counsel to the President until 2006. After this, he was nominated to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals, before being President Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court.

When Kavanaugh was nominated, there was a lot of backlash on the subject, and many people protested his nomination. The protests started around September 4th of this year. The protests were about whether or not Kavanaugh would be unbiased when it comes to abortion or LGBTQ issues and would vote to overturn the ruling of legalized abortion in the Roe v. Wade case of 1973. This turned out to not to be the only reason that Kavanaugh is being questioned as the next Supreme Court Justice. This is due to the fact that some women have come out saying that they were sexually assaulted by Kavanaugh.

A total of three women came out with sexual allegations against Kavanaugh. One of the three women to speak out was Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, who has been in the news a lot recently. On September 27, she and Kavanaugh had a hearing with the Senate to discuss this. Ford went into detail about what happened to her in 1982, then Kavanaugh went on to talk to his defense. There are still many questions, and still many sides being taken but since this hearing, there has been more news on the subject.

One of the major questions that the Senate hearing raised was how big of a drinker Kavanaugh was during high school and college, and if he ever became blackout drunk to the point where he could possibly have done what was said in these allegations. In light of this, many people have come out from his past saying that he was indeed a heavy drinker. Many people came out saying that he was a heavy partier, and did many beer bongs. While this is normal among college students, the fact that Kavanaugh lied about it in the Senate meeting left a lot of people with even more questions.

This story is getting more and more updates as we speak, there are many more stories such as on October 1st, Kerry Berchem, a roommate of Deborah Ramirez one of the women that came forward, came out with texts from Kavanaugh to other classmates asking if they remember it, and if one of the classmates could go on record in his defense. This could mean that he was trying to get his defense in line before the allegations were made public. Just today, October 2nd, they have found arrest records of Kavanaugh from 1980 from a bar. The FBI has also launched its investigation into Kavanaugh.

There is no saying what is going to happen with Kavanaugh and what is going to happen. There are still a lot of people in support of him, and there are still people against him  taking the position in the highest seat of the law. Right now, it is just a question of what the FBI could find, so keep your eyes out on the news, because it seems like there is always something new opening up to the public.

I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.