This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Who doesn’t enjoy sitting by the fire with a book in one hand and a drink in another? Fall season has officially started, which means that kind of lazing about is very much justified. Here are a few books to really get you in the mood for Fall!

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling

Harry Potter’s life is miserable. His parents are dead and he’s stuck with his heartless relatives, who force him to live in a tiny closet under the stairs. But his fortune changes when he receives a letter that tells him the truth about himself: he’s a wizard. A mysterious visitor rescues him from his relatives and takes him to his new home, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry…”

Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy

Why You Should Read This: If you’re already familiar with Rowling’s work, then you don’t need a reason. The story keeps you sucked in from page one till the end, and it poses a beautiful escape from the headache-inducing school. Besides, you can never be too old to get lost in the world of Harry Potter. 

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman hate each other. Not dislike. Not begrudgingly tolerate. Hate. And they have no problem displaying their feelings through a series of ritualistic passive aggressive maneuvers as they sit across from each other, executive assistants to co-CEOs of a publishing company. Lucy can’t understand Joshua’s joyless, uptight, meticulous approach to his job. Joshua is clearly baffled by Lucy’s overly bright clothes, quirkiness, and Pollyanna attitude…”

Genre: Contemporary Romance, Chick-Lit

Why You Should Read This: Sometimes, you just need a very fluffy, entertaining story with unbelievably tender moments. The Hating Game is such a story. Even though you might have seen this trope before, you will not regret picking this up!

We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

“…With humor and levity, here Adichie offers readers a unique definition of feminism for the twenty-first century—one rooted in inclusion and awareness. She shines a light not only on blatant discrimination, but also the more insidious, institutional behaviors that marginalize women around the world, in order to help readers of all walks of life better understand the often masked realities of sexual politics. Throughout, she draws extensively on her own experiences—in the U.S., in her native Nigeria, and abroad—offering an artfully nuanced explanation of why the gender divide is harmful for women and men, alike…”

Genre: Nonfiction, Essays

Why You Should Read This: This is a discussion that needs to be had, and Chimamanda uses this medium to explain why. It’s not “preachy”, neither does it be belittle those who don’t agree (which is refreshing). We Should All be Feminists gives a compelling argument about why everyone should work towards a future where equality of the sexes is not in question.

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

“…Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn’t live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod’s family…

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

Why You Should Read This: The Graveyard Book is one you can’t put down. It’s very well written, and there’s a very creative mix of sweet, magical, and creepy stuff that goes on. There’s no Halloween-ish book that’ll give you the fuzzies like this one.

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

“…Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up — she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true…”

Genre: Romance, New Adult

Why You Should Read This: There are some romance novels that just feel so redundant that they make you tired. Thankfully, this is not one of them! It tackles actual issues (that I won’t spoil for you), and is sure to give you all the feels!

*All quotes were gotten from Goodreads.

Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.