Book Review: SWEET EVIL by Wendy Higgins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Anna Whitt, the protagonist of Sweet Evil, is no ordinary girl. She has some sort of special ability, but before her sixteenth birthday, had no idea of its origin. Although she is aware that she was adopted, it isn’t until her sixteenth birthday that she finds out that she is the daughter of a demon lord and a guardian angel. Anna Whitt is a Nephilim.

I found Anna to be an interesting character; she didn’t strike me as demon spawn. Actually, she is shy, and modest, and really such a goody-two-shoes. While those are lovely traits, there were times that I just wanted her to “wake up and start acting evil, already!” It was nice to know, though, that she struggles with her nature, and is usually tempted to give in to its temptation.

After Anna meets Kaidan Rowe during a concert on her birthday, she finds out a lot about herself, her parents, and what is capable of. It turns out Kaidan is also Nephilim, and the son of the Duke of Lust. He is everything Anna isn’t (in terms of innocence), and is ordered by his father to change Anna’s good girl status, and make her as impure as possible.

Circumstances find Anna and Kaidan on a road trip to meet her father, and Ruth-the nun responsible for handing Anna over to Patti at birth. As the book progresses, Anna explores her evil side, and is challenged by the temptation Kaidan represents. Kaidan, being the epitome of a paranormal leading man and bad boy, is a drug Anna finds hard to resist. At the end of the day, innocence prevails.

In the beginning, it was difficult to keep track of the various demon lords and Nephilim but once I got the hang of it, Sweet Evil proved to be a very engaging read. Some parts seemed unlikely (it is fantasy, after all), but I overlooked those areas, and found myself greatly entertained, and looking forward to reading the sequel.