This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

A lot of people, at some point in their lives, express some interest in learning another language. And not just to fulfill a school language requirement, either. Here are a few basic tips to get you started.

BE MOTIVATED

You probably have a reason for wanting to increase your linguistic repertoire. Maybe you’ve always dreamed of living in Germany? Or you want to feel more connected to your Thai boyfriend by speaking his first language? Whatever your reason, figure it out, and keep it at the forefront of your mind. Doing this tends to make you more focused, because you’ll have a goal, and you’ll be more determined to reach it.

PRACTICE

This should really go without saying. If you’re serious about achieving your goal, you must practice. Out loud and on paper, if the language has special script.

MAKE FRIENDS

Preferably those who speak the target language. You want someone to practice on; someone who knows enough to be able to correct you when you make mistakes. You can look for language pals online if your squad is not very linguistically diverse. Some people prefer to exchange languages (i.e. you teach your native language to someone who, in return, teaches you their native language), while others prefer a fully dedicated speaker, who is fluent in both languages.)

MAKE USE OF AVAILABLE RESOURCES

I mean technology. This is 2017, and nowadays, several nice people have decided to create apps and online language courses for free. Don’t ignore these little blessings. Actions as simple as changing your workout playlist to basic dialogues in the target language go a long way to helping you achieve your goal.

BE BRAVE

The learning process is never complete without mistakes. And you will probably feel really embarrassed by those blunders. Never you worry; you’re not alone. Be brave enough to acknowledge, take note of, and learn from those mistakes.

Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.