Anticipated Book-to-Movie Adaptations of 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

If there is ever a perk of being a bookworm, it is knowing the end of a movie before it has even premiered. Of course, Im talking about movies based on books.

Since a good number of book-to-movie adaptations have been released this year, its easy to forget that there is still a handful of books we have to read before they hit the screen this year.

1. THE CIRCLE by Dave Eggers

“… Mae cant believe her luck, her great fortune to work for the most influential company in America – even as life beyond the campus grows distant, even as a strange encounter with a colleague leaves her shaken, even as her role at the Circle becomes increasingly public. What begins as the captivating story of one womans ambition and idealism soon becomes a heart-racing novel of suspense, raising questions about memory, history, privacy, democracy, and the limits of human knowledge.

Starring: Emma Watson, Tom Hank, John Boyega.

Film Release Date: April 28

2. EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING by Nicola Yoon

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, Im allergic to the world. I dont leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him…”

Starring: Amandla Stenberg, Nick Robinson, Anika Noni Rose.

Film Release Date: May 19

3. THE DARK TOWER  by Stephen King

“… Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is King’s most visionary feat of storytelling, a magical mix of science fiction, fantasy, and horror that may well be his crowning achievement…”

Starring: Idris Elba, Matthew McConaughey, Katheryn Winnick.

Film Release Date: July 28

4. IT by Stephen King

To the children, the town was their whole world. To the adults, knowing better, Derry, Maine was just their hometown: familiar, well-ordered for the most part. A good place to live.

It was the children who saw – and felt – what made Derry so horribly different. In the storm drains, in the sewers, IT lurked, taking on the shape of every nightmare, each one’s deepest dread. Sometimes IT reached up, seizing, tearing, killing . . .

Starring: Bill Skarsgard, Jaeden Lieberher, Jeremy Ray Taylor.

Film Release Date: September 8

5. RED SPARROW by Jason Matthews

“…Drafted against her will to become a Sparrow, a trained seductress in the service, Dominika is assigned to operate against Nathaniel Nash, a first-tour CIA officer who handles the CIAs most sensitive penetration of Russian intelligence. The two young intelligence officers, trained in their respective spy schools, collide in a charged atmosphere of tradecraft, deception, and inevitably, a forbidden spiral of carnal attraction that threatens their careers and the security of Americas valuable mole in Moscow…”

Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Joel Egerton, Jeremy Irons.

Film Release Date: November 10

6. MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS by Agatha Christie

“Just after midnight, a snowdrift stopped the Orient Express in its tracks. The luxurious train was surprisingly full for the time of the year. But by the morning there was one passenger fewer. A passenger lay dead in his compartment, stabbed a dozen times, his door locked from the inside.

Starring: Johnny Depp, Daisy Ridley, Penelope Cruz.

Film Release Date: November 22

*Quotes gotten from Goodreads