7 Reasons to Get Involved on Your College Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

I know that joining an organization on your college campus can be super intimidating at first. You might not know anyone, know what you want to join, and you might not even know what you are even doing. But trust me when I say you should get involved on your campus, and the SOONER the BETTER. Don’t believe me? Check out my list of 10 reasons why you should. 

1. You will meet new people. 

You will meet all kinds of people, with all different personalities and interests! You never know how you might meet through your new organization, and how important they might become to you.

1. You might discover a new passion. 

You never know if you will love something until you try it, right? That is how we discover everything that we love. Trying something new and joining a new campus organization or volunteering for the first time can lead you to a new passion or hobby. You have nothing to lose, and so much to gain! 

1. You will have something to look forward to. 

Outside of class and studying, it is fun to have something rewarding to look forward to. Joining an organization, volunteering, or giving back to campus is something that will motivate you throughout your day, and leave you feeling motivated when you leave. There is nothing like being excited all day for your club’s meeting, or looking forward to the big volunteer event coming up on Sunday afternoon. 

1. It is a great leadership opportunity. 

Know what looks great on a resume? Being involved on your campus. Why does it look great? It is a great leadership experience. You have the opportunity to lead, work collaboratively, and even hold positions of leadership within your group. All of these things will add to your leadership qualities and experiences, and look wonderful on your resume. 

1. You will have a support system/family. 

No doubt that if you spend a lot of time with great people, all working towards a common goal or sharing a common interest, you are going to get close. You are going to become a part of a kind of family on your campus, and your organization will be a great support system for you as you move through college and tackle life’s challenges. 

1. It will force you to get good at time management.

Becoming busy and involved is going to force you to become good at time management. This is great, because you are going to need good time management skills for the rest of your life, so might as well practice them now. You will learn how to balance your time between school, your organizations, your friends, and your free time when you jump into an organization on campus. Trust me, you are going to love it! 

1. It will bring you joy. 

There is nothing like the feeling of being a part of something greater than yourself. Joining an organization will give you a sense of being part of the bigger picture, trying to make the world a better place, etc. No matter your organization, working together with others to meet a common goal will bring you so much happiness. Being around great people who share the same interests as you is so fulfilling. 

Hopefully, my little list brought you a smile, and some motivation to get involved on your campus. Check out the RSO’s, student activities, or local volunteer opportunities on your city or college’s website. You can do this- and you can just thank me later, NBD.

Hey there! I'm Maddie. I am a senior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and I am studying Communication Disorders. In my free time I like to read, wander thrift stores, eat great food, laugh a-lot, add songs to my Spotify, and spend time with the people that I love. Right now, I am super into learning about minimizing my waste and doing what I can to create a healthier planet and a stress free mind!