7 Reasons College of Business Students Should Utilize the Wall Street Journal Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

If you are a College of Business (COB) student at Minnesota State and have not yet taken advantage of your Wall Street Journal membership, it’s time to make some changes. The Wall Street Journal is the most-read newspaper in the United States, and also tops the world list. It’s an extremely effective tool to utilize in and out of class to help further your knowledge of what’s going on in the professional world.

1. It’s built into your tuition – at a very low cost!

Not only is the WSJ one of the most-read newspapers in the world, it also tops the list of the most expensive. With the talent and high quality information that is provided in the Journal, it is no surprise it costs more than your average-rated news source. As students in the COB at Minnesota State, we are given a spectacular deal of $25 per semester, built in to your tuition! Yes, that even means it can be paid for with financial aid.

2. It is an expectation in the business world that you will be an informed professional.

Gone are the days of small talk about the Kardashians and Miley Cyrus’ performance at the Video Music Awards. If you want people to take you seriously in your profession, you need to give them a reason to do so. By reading the Journal on a daily basis, you are becoming a well-informed world citizen. It will also impress possible employers with your knowledge of current events.

3. There is a topic for everyone.

When people think of Wall Street, the first thing that comes to mind is the stock market and professions that surround it. The WSJ caters to everyone, no matter what their interest is. Yes, there is an economic and finance section based on the stock market, but there is also so much more to the Journal than that. Categories differ each day of the week and range from general news, luxuries, opinions and ideas, politics, health, media, technology, culture, fashion, women empowerment in business, and the stock market.

4. It is written six out of seven days per week.

This allows for the most up-to-date news and happenings in the nation and around the world. You will always be one step ahead of your peers.

5. It’s a news hub for the world.

All of your news, all in one spot. Skip the internet search and get it all in one. Think of the WSJ as your “one stop shop.”

6. “The people you read about are inspiring.” –Tory Burch

In a special-edition article in the WSJ called “Make Time for the Wall Street Journal,” Tory Burch (American Fashion Designer) explains why she enjoys reading it daily. Each person that she reads about is an inspiration because they all have a story that led up to their success. It inspiring to see successful people explain their struggles and how they coped, because it helps motivate you to better yourself and stay ambitious.

7. It can help raise your GPA and enrich your vocabulary.

Reading in general will help you with your comprehension skills and understanding of the text. The WSJ is written for professionals, by professionals, so you are bound to come across a word or two that you are unfamiliar with. This will give you the opportunity to search for the definition, and next time you’re with your friends you can impress them with your scholarly new vocabulary!

To activate your WSJ account, visit the COB Student Portal, enter your StarID and press Submit to continue with the registration process. Once you are registered, you can log in to the WSJ website and begin reading and increasing your knowledge.

Shaela Nelson (pronounced Shay-la), commonly referred to as Shae, is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato, majoring in marketing and minoring in entrepreneurship. Shaela enjoys being a part of many organizations on campus, volunteering with animals and randomly busting out crazy dance moves. Being from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes," you can find her enjoying the lake-life while boating, at any given time of the summer - when she's not a nanny for her favorite kiddos. Shaela enjoys writing for Her Campus because it allows her to express herself and the many ideas she has. Life Motto: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you imagined." -Henry David Thoreau