5 Ways to Rethink Your Drink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Five Ways to Rethink Your Drink

Sugary, calorie-packed beverages are a staple in the American diet; whether it’s a Coke with a burger and fries, lemonade on a hot summer day or a specialty coffee drink to get us through a long drive.

According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), about 26 percent of respondents in a study reported that they consumed soda, fruit drinks, or both more than once per day (2012). Lets assume that someone drinks one can of regular soda and 8 oz. of juice per day. This comes in at around 250 calories and very little nutritional value.

250 calories doesn’t seem like a lot, but here are a few snacks someone could have eaten for the same amount of calories if they had drank water instead: one serving of tortilla chips with salsa, an apple with peanut butter, a bag of popcorn, three eggs, a salad or one serving of crackers with string cheese. If you’re trying to lose weight, you can cut out the soda and juice and drink water. 3,500 calories = 1 pound, therefore cutting 250 calories out of your diet each day should equal 1 pound of weight lost every two weeks. That’s 12 pounds in six months!

Moral of this story: calories from beverages add up quick. Here are some tips and healthier alternatives to keep in mind next time you reach for a high-calorie drink.

1. The Coffee Shop

I love Frappuccino’s and Caribou coolers just as much as the next college girl, but we need to see them for what they are: desserts in a cup.

My favorite drink to get from Caribou is a cold press with white or dark chocolate. This is cold-brewed black coffee on ice with a pump of chocolate; it comes in around 90 calories (coffee is 5 calories and the rest are just from the chocolate). Major bonus to the cold press is that it contains way more caffeine than your typical mocha or cooler, so feel free to get a small and save some money. At Starbucks, my typical order is a lightly sweetened iced coffee. This comes in at 80 calories for a medium.

Those are both awesome substitutes to satisfy your sweet tooth and give you a caffeine pick-me-up, but if you’re ready to go all-in, tea is a great alternative to coffee. Unsweetened tea has zero calories, no sugar and is only a little over $2 at most coffee shops. Tea tip: black tea has the most caffeine.

2. Feeling Fruity

Fruit flavored beverages and juice are all the rage, but are usually loaded with sugar. Just because a juice is labeled organic or lists how much fruit went into the bottle, does not mean it is free of calories and sugar. If you are looking for a fresh fruity drink, opt for fruit-infused water. You can do this yourself by cutting up fresh fruit and adding it to your water bottle. At zero calories, this is a clear winner (pun intended).

3. Soda

Soda is more of a bad habit than anything. Most soda drinkers probably don’t even think about it when they reach for a can or order a Coke with their dinner at a restaurant. Like any bad habit, it can be hard to break; but lucky for you there are tasty alternatives to soda, such as fruit flavored carbonated water.

Still fizzy. Still tasty. Still in a can. No sugar. No calories.

4. Alcohol

Alcohol itself is very high calorie and gives your body absolutely no nutrition. Combine that with tons of soda, sugary juice, sugar syrup and you’re looking at an easy 1,500 calories in one night out depending on what you order. Besides being conscious of what you order, such as mixing your alcohol with club soda, it is equally important to control yourself when drinking. As college students, so many people our age are guilty of drinking way more than what is necessary or socially appropriate. Drink slower, drink less and think about your mixie.

5. Water

Water is your best friend when it comes to beverages. Generally you should consume approximately 1 mL of water per calorie you are consuming in a day. So someone who consumes 2,000 calories should drink 2,000 mL (68 oz.) of water per day. This varies greatly depending on activity level, so it is different for everyone. If you are very active, you should drink more water. Even an extremely inactive person should consume a minimum of 1500 mL of water per day.

Let’s assume your water bottle holds 16 oz., fill it up and finish it 4-5 times per day to reach 68 oz. Consuming enough water is extremely beneficial to overall health. According to the CDC, water helps to regulate body temperature, lubricate and cushion joints, protect spinal cord and rid the body of wastes through urination and perspiration. The best thing about water is that it’s always 100 percent guilt free. Drink up! 

Dietetic intern at the University of Maryland. Future Registered Dietitian. Minnesota State University, Mankato alumni. Lover of avocados, yoga and The Office.