5 Simple Ways to Get You Through the Winter Daze

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

If you’re like me, winters in Minnesota are not your thing. I don’t ski or snowboard, in fact I prefer to be indoors whenever possible to avoid the cold. And by doing that, I get stuck in a daze that is winter, one that is never-ending. So if you are in a rut and dreaming of warmer days, here are a few things that can help you through the winter daze:

Listen to more music

If winter is getting you down, bring yourself up by listening to some upbeat music. Pick something that reminds you of summer or maybe a vacation you took to the Caribbean. Maybe you like country music in the summer so blast that country station just like you would with your windows rolled down cruising in the summer.

Let some light in

Part of the reason winter can seem so gloomy is that the sun doesn’t come out very often which can effect a person’s mood and they can become unmotivated, lethargic, tired and much more (this happens to me ALL the time). So on those rare sunny days, open a curtain and let the sun shine in. You can even stand in front of the window and pretend you’re lying on a beach somewhere warm soaking up the rays if you really want to.

Dance it out

So because winter can be dreary and leave you unmotivated, I’ve discovered that dancing it out like Meredith and Christina do, is actually very beneficial, no matter how silly it might seem. Dancing is a way to let all of your stress and emotions out in a healthy, fun and positive way. So put on your favorite song and dance around in your underwear.

Take breaks

Sometimes the best thing to do to get you out of your slump is to binge watch Netflix, and you know what, that’s OK. Or you might want to take a nap. Either way, it’s important to take breaks no matter what you’re doing. It helps keep your mind fresh and keeps you more motivated. So go ahead and watch an episode (or five) of your favorite show.

Get outside

I may not be a person who participates in winter activities but sometimes what can help you get through the long winter days is appreciating the beauty that winter brings along with it. Go for a walk around a park or find somewhere you can get out, explore and enjoy nature’s beauty. Then you’re welcome to go back to watching Netflix. 

Wannabe World Traveler.Adventure Seeker.Minnesota Living.Lover of Sports.Avid Coffee Drinker.