44th Annual Mahkato Wacipi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

The city of Mankato comes from the Dakota name Mahkato, meaning “greenish blue earth.” In Blue Earth County, the 44th annual traditional powwow was held over the weekend of Sept. 16-18. At Dakota Wokiksuye Makoce Native Americans and non-Native Americans alike gathered to dance, sing and visit with friends and family. It was also a place of remembrance, and a time to honor the Dakota 38.

The Dakota 38

Every Wacipi begins with the Grand Entry. During the Grand Entry all the dancers enter the arena; led by the flag bearers. The flags may include the United States flag, Canadian flag, flags of tribes and families in attendance, service flags and the POW flag. One thing that is always included at the Mahkato Wacipi is an eagle staff bearing 38 feathers.

On December 26, 1862 38 Dakota men were hanged in Mankato, MN. This is considered the largest execution in American history. The execution marked the end of the six-week long conflict between the Dakota people and settlers throughout southwestern Minnesota.

The Dakota War and the hanging of the 38 has left deep scars on the lives of many Native American peoples across the state. The city of Mankato has a stigma attached to it for a lot of Native peoples because of this. The eagle staff bears 38 feathers to commemorate each Dakota man who was executed.

The Healing Process

The wacipi is a way of reconciling and welcoming Native peoples back into the city of Mankato. The wacipi brings together Native Americans and non-Native Americans as a way to promote understanding and awareness of the Dakota peoples.

The Mahkato Wacipi began in 1972 with the help of Dakota Spiritual Leader Amos Owen and Mankato leaders Bud Lawrence and Jim Buckley. 44 years later the theme of reconciliation is still present, and the Wacipi is open to the everyone in the community.

Everyone I met at the wacipi was open to each other and ready to share. I sat side-by-side with a couple from Lower Sioux; sharing laughs and swatting bees. I visited vendors who were eager to tell me about their craft and joke about our family members. I even got pointed to the stand where I could get the “best Indian taco.” (Rosebear’s Big Indian Tacos, and I had two). The openness and willing to learn and accept everyone’s culture is a beautiful feeling in a place that harbored so much heartache. The past can’t be forgotten, but through understanding and acceptance we can have a better future.

Her Campus MNSU writer. Mass Media major at Minnesota State University, Mankato.