This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

February is in full swing, and with that comes all things love. The 13th has been coined “Galentine’s Day” thanks to Parks and Recreation, a day where you celebrate your female friendships. I cannot think of a love as special and unique as the one between female friends, and it is important to take time to honor these relationships. I have thrown many Galentine’s Day parties in my lifetime, and I have found all sorts of fun ways to make this day meaningful and exciting. Grab your ladies, and throw a Galentine’s Day bash! Here are some essentials: 

Menu

If you’re anything like me, the food at an event takes the utmost priority. In true Leslie Knope fashion, waffles are always an excellent choice. Who doesn’t love waffles? You can always go with a classic waffle, but to make it fun, throw some heart sprinkles into the batter for a funfetti twist. Even better, top with whipped cream and add some sprinkles on top for peak presentation (this also looks really cute when sprinkled on top of some hot cocoa with whipped cream). Basically- when in doubt, add sprinkles.

Dessert is the most fun part of Galentine’s Day! My go-to is strawberry cupcakes with pink dyed vanilla frosting. There are so many great Pinterest recipes out there though, so don’t be afraid to get creative. The bigger the better. Nothing brings a group of women together quite like dessert foods, so planning in this department is essential to the success of your party.

Decor

Decorating is one of the best parts of anything in life, and Galentine’s Day is a time that you can go all out with pinks and glitter. I like hosting parties at my house, because it feels more welcoming, and you also have greater decorating liberty. Typical Valentine’s Day decorations are appropriate, but I always make sure to have some feminism thrown in as well. Amy Poehler’s Smart Girls has a lot of Galentine’s Day templates. You can print out fun little cards to leave at each of your friend’s table setting, and I have often blown up these cards and printed them to hang as posters. They are filled with witty messages about female empowerment, and a fun way to bring feminism to the forefront of your party. Print out pictures of your favorite women and hang them up. Just create an ambiance that celebrates feminism, in whatever way seems true to you.

Music

A good playlist filled with feminist ballads is the perfect way to set the tone for the party. A simple Spotify search will bring up countless playlists, but I love creating my own each year. The type of music can vary a little based on the crowd, and I find myself listening to the playlists long after the party. Support female artists at your gathering!

Activities

As a busy girl, I don’t usually plan for a ton of bells and whistles. Good food and good friends are generally all I need, and I love simply catching up with my friends on this day. If you are looking for any extra activities, the infamous Galentine’s Day episode of Parks (2×16) is good for context for non fans, or just exciting for avid fans to revisit. Watch an empowering film about a powerful woman with your powerful girls. This is the year of RBG, so give her documentary a watch. But as always, the good ol’ art of conversation with your tribe is one of the most cathartic experiences in the world.

Miscellaneous

I have some other random contributions that always make for a good party. Candles are important for creating a cozy atmosphere. In past years, I have made a little photobooth setup out of a plastic pink table cloth and some dangly heart decorations. It’s a fun way to encourage picture taking because I usually forget if I don’t have a reminder like this.  Guests love party favors, so create a little bag of candy, or if you have a larger budget, buy friendship necklaces for all of your lady pals. Order everyone a feminist sticker off of Redbubble. These things take your gathering the extra mile.

Galentine’s Day is a great reminder of the power of female friendship. One of my greatest passions is changing the female social structure, and I love this holiday because it gives us permission to celebrate the women who make our lives better. While all of these party planning tips are fun, the most important part is that your heart is there and that this event truly focuses on lifting each other up. Happy Galentine’s Day!

Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com