This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

The first ever Women’s March in 2017 launched a modern movement for women’s rights and I was immediately captured by it. After seeing the impact that it had on the world, I knew that I wanted to get involved and was inspired and empowered by the march’s ability to give women a platform to voice their opinion on such a large scale. Although I wasn’t able to attend, I remember how it sparked something inside of me and I got my own “Nasty Woman” t-shirt the very next day. Thus, officially joining the national movement and committing to standing up for myself and for others.

January 19th, 2019 marked the third year of the Women’s March and the second year I participated in the protest. A couple of my friends and I joined thousands of other marchers and walked confidently through the streets of New York City. We made our way swiftly down the avenues, showing off our pink hats and homemade signs, but mostly, our unstoppable, go-getting attitudes.  

Although I’ve only been in two marches, I find that no matter where you are, the experience is always positive and encouraging. The marches are peaceful protests where everyone can be included and participants support one another and lift each other up. This, in addition to raising female empowerment and making a statement, is why I march.

I’d highly recommend those who are interested to not be afraid to join in. I’ve only had positive experiences and believe it’s important to not back down and to be a part of something bigger than yourself. The Women’s March calls for action on a number of issues and it’s important to people for all different reasons. It’s a great thing to do with friends, roommates, or maybe even your Her Campus girl gang! Whatever it means to you, get out there and do it for yourself; you won’t regret it.

Studying Fashion Marketing and Digital Journalism at Marymount Manhattan College in NYC in hopes of one day becoming a big time magazine editor.
Campus Correspondent at MMM  Hey guys, I’m Kyra! I grew up in the small town of North Lake Tahoe and now I am going to college in the big city- New York City! It is such a dream come true to be living in New York! I love it so much! I am a Digital Journalism Major with a double minor in Fashion and Business Management.    Get in contact with me, I'd love to hear from you! Instagram: @kyramattson Blog: dream-catcher-blog.com