Why You Shouldn’t Buy Too Faced Foundation: Brand Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Too Faced has been one of those cosmetic brands that has beauty gurus in awe. Not only are their permanent collections continuing to be sold, they have numerous new launches happening at both Sephora and Ulta. I’ve been testing Too Faced products for the past couple of months now to truly see if this cosmetic company was worth the hype, and here’s what I found out.

The first product I tried was the new relaunch of the Sweet Peach eye palette. This palette was so popular and loved that Too Faced relaunched it after having been sold out. The first thing I noticed about this palette was that it smelled like peaches; something quite different from other eye palettes. While this is a nice feature, it doesn’t mean much if the product doesn’t perform properly. Overall, the colors are very blendable and have a nice buildable pigment. The shadows last all day if worn with a primer will not crease. In addition, the colors are gorgeous and unique compared to other palettes on the market. The only drawback to this palette is that while the shadows have buildable pigment, they are not extremely pigmented so you’re going to have to dip your brush in the shadow a couple times for good color pay off. That being said, I would still recommend this palette.  

The second product I tried of Too Faced was their Born This Way foundation. This was another product highly raved about as it claims to be a medium to full coverage foundation with an undetectable natural finish. This meaning that the finish will look like your skin, but flawless. I applied this foundation with a Beauty Blender and while it blended nicely the coverage was more on the medium side. It did build up in coverage a little bit, but not enough for that full coverage effect. The color itself matched my skin, however there were not enough undertones in it, so the foundation looked flat. I tried the color, Snow, which claimed to have pink undertones and instead lacked them. The foundation wore throughout the day only getting a little oily at the end of the day. The product wasn’t heavy either so you easily forget you’re even wearing foundation at all. Yet another problem occurred, which was that the foundation looked chalky after a while. For this reason and the flatness of the color, I ended up returning the Too Faced Born This Way foundation, therefore I would not recommend this product.

Lastly, I tried their lip products. I tried both the Sweet Peach lip oil gloss and the Melted lipstick. The gloss was nice and felt moisturizing. It had a nice shine to it, but it wasn’t sticky like many other glosses. The color was subtle, so if you are looking for an opaque gloss this is not it. However, I enjoyed the soft color giving my lips a more natural and hydrated look. The Melted lipstick is Too Faced version of a liquid lipstick. It applied nicely and had a good doe foot applicator. The color was opaque, but is not a one swipe kind of product. I had to dip about three times to cover my lips. The color was pretty and the product wore well. It is thicker than other liquid lips and does show all the lines in your lips. I would recommend both of these lip products depending on what you’re looking for.

As a whole, I really enjoyed Too Faced Cosmetics and am excited to continue to try new products from this line in the future.