This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Friends, family, and strangers. What do they have in common? They’re all people. People have to have human interaction in order to stay sane. You may be around someone for a short period of time in your life or you may be around them your entire life. However, no matter how long you are around someone, you should make every interaction a nice interaction. The people we surround ourselves with leave lasting impressions that will shape us into our unique selves.

Have you ever heard of the saying “Don’t fight fire with fire”? Well that saying is true – it simply does not work. If you are in a tense situation where someone lashes out with you, do not respond back negatively because this will not solve anything. Some people thrive off of the misery of others, but they only act this way because they are someone being or have been hurt in the past. You have to understand that this does not give you a reason to be hateful in response. Instead, respond in a neutral or positive way in order to lessen the negativity. There is no reason to keep hate going. Everyone deserves to be happy and spreading negativity will only make you and the other person miserable.

You should always approach someone with the intention of being kind. You will never know exactly what someone is going through in life, even if they are your best friend. People will hide their true emotions at times, and it is your responsibility to still be kind to them. When you treat someone with kindness the favor will most often be given in return. If everyone were to treat each other with good intentions, then we are all going to live happier lives.

I currently attend Marymount Manhattan College as a fourth-year senior where I am pursuing a Bachelors of Fine Arts in Dance with a double concentration in Choreography and Modern and a Bachelors of the Arts in Business with a concentration in Media & Arts Management. While at Marymount Manhattan College, I have choreographed new dance works for Dancers at Work and screenPLAY through the Dance Department. In my choreographic endeavors, I utilize an abstract, multidisciplinary method which reveals opportunities for further analysis, stimulates thought-provoking questions, and encourages societal change-making. I am interested in utilizing both my knowledge of Dance and Arts Management to create an interdisciplinary performance arts entity upon graduating from Marymount Manhattan College.
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli