roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
roman kraft ZoAlN3 pJO8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Need A Green Tea Latte In Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Overloaded with sugar and caffeine at Starbucks? The GTL is here to help.

Though a large chunk of the population can’t live without it, I do not drink coffee. I don’t plan to start any time soon, either. The high caffeine content makes me feel jittery yet hungover, and with more than five hours of sleep I’m already bouncing off the walls without it, so it isn’t necessary. Therefore, I won’t try to be the judge of Starbucks’ coffee beverages. What I do know, however, is that the green tea latte–AKA the drink I order so much that I can feel the baristas judging me and/or mentally referring to me as “tall-unsweetened-green-tea-latte girl”–is the greatest non-coffee drink Starbucks has to offer, in both the health and flavor departments.

Plus it looks cool, cause it’s green.

While many of Starbucks’ drinks are nothing more than milk infused with a mystery syrup containing over a day’s worth of added sugar, the GTL is made with matcha, a “superfood” that has gained a crazy amount of popularity in recent years. The bitter, but tasty powder is made of ground up green tea leaves, giving it the enhanced health benefits of the regular leafy tea variety.

It’s like green tea, but super.

Matcha is high in antioxidants–essentially, those protect cells from damage–improves cognitive performance, and may decrease risk of heart disease just to name a few of its special powers. Since Starbucks’ matcha powder is already infused with a bit of sugar, unsweetened green tea lattes still taste amazing and are far better for you than the store’s other highly sugary beverages.

Eg. Snickerdoodle hot chocolate: I once drank a tall version of this and nearly threw up from all the sugar. Delicious, yes, but deadly.

Now, enough about healthiness. After all, most people don’t go to Starbucks looking for a magical drink to cleanse their body and soul. What matters is the taste. Luckily, the GTL holds its own against Starbucks’ most popular frappuccinos and lattes. It may not scream pure sweetness, but it has a creamy, earthy flavor that leaves you satisfied, yet guilt free. And that matcha foam is ah-mazing. I always take my cup’s top off and use it to collect the last bits of foam on the bottom, which makes me look like a super weirdo, but is so worth it. And for those caffeine enthusiasts out there, no need to fret: like green tea, matcha is naturally caffeinated. It may not contain as much as caffeine as coffee, but the GTL has just enough to give you a little extra boost. Also, a good amount for a late-night drink to snag before that icy commute back to the dorm.

So for those who have yet to experience the green tea latte’s awesome power, go out and buy one for yourself next time you’re at Starbucks! Whether you enjoy the hot variety that I prefer or order it iced, your taste buds–and the rest of your body–are in for a treat.

Laura Alexander is a sophomore at Brown University
Paige, originally from Nashville, TN, is currently a senior at Marymount Manhattan College majoring in Communication Arts with a minor in Journalism. Paige has held internships at two PR firms, Decider.com, MTV News, and has been a Contributing Writer for USA Today College. She is currently interning at Decider.com for a second time. Maroon 5, movie going, reading, cupcakes, Pinterest, and NYC are some of her favorite things. Contact her at paigegawley@hercampus.com or visit her website,www.paigegawley.com.