Why People of All Ages Should Celebrate Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

Halloween is a holiday associated with haunted houses, trick or treating, carving spooky pumpkins, and funky and fun costumes. When you are a kid, there is no question about celebrating Halloween. It was the day that all of us could be someone or something that we’ve always wanted to be. And you get candy out of it, so how can you beat that? As you get older, the costumes remain, yet there isn’t as much trick or treating. Then, there comes a time when you no longer pick out a costume, probably because you feel “too old” to take part in, what some seem to think of as, childish activities. Of course, I can’t completely understand that transition because I still look forward to dressing up and making a whole night out of it. However, it still makes me wonder why some people feel too mature to dress up. I think that people of all ages should take Halloween as an opportunity to forget about the everyday worries of adult life and find that perfect costume to bring out a different side of them.

When you are little you don’t realize the somewhat therapeutic aspect of Halloween- it was just what you did. But I think it is something that should be appreciated whether you are five or seventy-five. Allow yourself to have fun and let loose. Allow yourself to be a superhero or a villain. Halloween can be the perfect temporary escape from the stressful facets of your life. I think it is so exciting that there is a time, even if for just one day of the year, that we can be whoever we desire. We should enjoy and celebrate that! When we do, there is a willingness to explore all parts of ourselves. We can express ourselves with no judgement.

As an actress I get to discover all of the things that make me who I am and express them through a character’s lens. I have the opportunity to be several kinds of people and investigate all the different parts of myself. But for the people who are not actors or performers, Halloween is a chance to explore being another version of yourself. Put that costume on and own it. Halloween is for everyone of all ages. You are never too old to wear a wacky costume or a terrifying mask because you are never too old to unleash a side of you that you didn’t know was there. I hope everyone has a very thrilling, fun, and happy Halloween!

Hi beautiful people! I’m currently following my dreams as an Acting major at Marymount Manhattan College.
Campus Correspondent. English Literature major, Digital Journalism minor and NYC based dancer/singer.