george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
george pagan iii f PH16nZHKI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why The ‘Me Too’ Movement Is Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MMM chapter.

The internet has been a place for many to express political and social views publicly on various platforms. Now, there is a new movement that has come into the public eye and that is the “Me Too” Movement.

The “Me Too” Movement, which gained attention from a tweet actress Alyssa Milano posted on Sunday, has allowed victims of sexual violence to come out and speak about their experiences. People have been posting statuses ranging from just a simple “#MeToo” to full stories about their experiences. Both women and men have been inspired to share their stories.

The movement was created after Harvey Weinstein, a popular American film producer, was expelled from The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences after sexual assault accusations surfaced. The New York Times and The New York Post both made reports that Weinstein sexually assaulted nearly three dozen women.

So why is this such an important movement?

In the past few years, sexual violence has been a very highlighted subject in society. In the past, men and women were often shamed if they spoke out about their experiences. But now that awareness is being brought to the subject, we are finding out that a shocking number of people have dealt with this issue. It is important that we continue to foster an environment where victims of sexual violence can speak out without the fear of criticism or judgment. The “Me Too” Movement is doing exactly that. It is creating a space where victims can tell their stories feel supported, but they aren’t forced into telling every detail—which is often why it so difficult for victims to speak out.

The “Me Too” Movement is growing and bringing to light just how many untold stories there are. Maybe they will be told or maybe they won’t. Either way, there is a large support group for victims of sexual assault made up of fellow victims as well as many who haven’t been through it themselves, but continue to support us. Thank you to everyone who supports victims of sexual violence and this incredibly important movement. 

I am a freshman at Marymount Manhattan College where I currently study Theatre Arts and New Media. A few of my favorite things are music, writing and tea.
Campus Correspondent at HC MMM. Communications student in NYC.  Instagram: @sara.capucilli